Good deal on roof rack bike carriers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was shopping a couple months back for roof rack bike carriers, I usually go to Amazon for everything (for free shipping) but google led me to Overstock.com, I hadn't bought anything from there in probably 5 years. Anyway, they have a set of 2 universal roof rack upright bike holders for $47.99, after shipping and tax it's under $55 (I had forgotten their shipping cost is $2.95 on everything). I ordered a set, they arrived quickly and seemed to be of decent quality. They come with locks, both holders are keyed the same and they came with 4 keys. They came with all hardware to mount on existing roof rack cross bars, they are very adjustable and come with an extra set of square u-bolts for wider bars.

I installed one and carried a Next full suspension MTB (y-style frame) for my friend when he was moving, about 100 mile trip. Since it was big oval bar frame I was worried about the clamp gripping the frame, plus the bike was heavy, but the clamp didn't slip and the bike traveled fine.

Since then I have installed both, I added a piece of square aluminum to lift the back of the rack so I wouldn't have to trim the u-bolts (my cross bars sit low) and the angle points the bike toward the clamp, which in my mind seems more secure, plus I like the look of the racks angled up in the back.

I am very happy with this purchase and haven't seen anything cheaper. Years ago I had a Thule roof rack with 1 fork mount bike rack and 1 similar to this, I hardly ever used the fork mount because even with a quick release and a wheel holder on the rack, this style is just so much easier to use, quick and easy. I put the link to the overstock page below the photos.

IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

http://www.overstock.com/cart?qty3020035=0

I'll keep this in mind when I have an itch for these again. I can fit bikes in my car, but I'd rather keep them outside of the car to save space for other things.

GreatWhite00 said:
I'll keep this in mind when I have an itch for these again. I can fit bikes in my car, but I'd rather keep them outside of the car to save space for other things.

I would always rather keep the bike ouside of the car, I've sold 2 cars with grease marks on the backseat carpet on the driveshaft hump. When you go mountain biking it's nice to keep the mud out of the car afterwards.

I also drive a Jeep and carry a hitch haul on it for bikes, and if I have enough bikes I use the trailer. But with bike holders like these on my car you are always ready to grab a bike.

Still thinking about getting these. Have you had any issues with them, and do you leave them on your car all the time? I am up north, so I am concerned about salt. I'll probably go ahead and order them so I can preserve my interior.

GreatWhite00 said:
Still thinking about getting these. Have you had any issues with them, and do you leave them on your car all the time? I am up north, so I am concerned about salt. I'll probably go ahead and order them so I can preserve my interior.

I am still very impressed with them, they stay on the roof rack 24/7. If you are concerned about salt you might want to upgrade the provided zinc coated hardware with stainless steel, though I think the provided hardware is fine, but it can always be improved. That or add a coat of paint to it for extra protection. The rails and other stuff seem unphased by the weather so far, but remembering to oil the locks and such will help.

Rode around with 2 bikes on top a few weeks back and the holders are very sturdy, in fact I trust them more than my stock roof rails.

0315111405.jpg

yoothgeye said:
GreatWhite00 said:

I am still very impressed with them, they stay on the roof rack 24/7. If you are concerned about salt you might want to upgrade the provided zinc coated hardware with stainless steel, though I think the provided hardware is fine, but it can always be improved. That or add a coat of paint to it for extra protection. The rails and other stuff seem unphased by the weather so far, but remembering to oil the locks and such will help.

Rode around with 2 bikes on top a few weeks back and the holders are very sturdy, in fact I trust them more than my stock roof rails.
dude thanks for the tip. I'm definately going to buy these.

Thanks for the pic of the bikes on the car. That gives me an idea of how they'll look on my RX300. I guess I'll have to carry something like a stool or bucket to climb up on. I'm going to order soon.

Back