Got a bike for free so decided to build it, Build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I just found this site a few hours ago while searching for parts for a bike I came across. I actually traded a haircut for it. It is a beater Chinese Ocean Pacific cruiser. But, I like the lines of the frame so I decided to try and make something out of it. So anyway, I figured it would be cool to put it on here. I only have it taken apart for now. Here it is..

I have some ideas for a patina paint scheme I am going to attempt. Not sure if it will work on the small frame of a bike, but I am going to go for it anyway. I used to paint cars for a living right out of high school, so I have a limited knowledge for how I am going to go about the paint. I love the big copper rims and tires on this site but I am not sure if they will fit. I have some ape hangers on the way also.

Aluminum with patina, that'll be interesting. That also looks like a good candidate for some kind of tank. The big copper wheels will fit, with the same size tires it has now, 2.125. The big tires won't. I had plenty of room on my Schwinn using 26 x 2.125 tires.

2z4cn83.jpg

Looks good. I'd take off more of the blue, but then I would want to put some back after the fact. I would also take the paint off the head bearing cups, unless they are chrome.

Looks good.
If that frame is anywhere near as strong as my old Ocean Pacific was you can beat that frame like a mountain bike and it will keep going.

Aluminum with patina, that'll be interesting. That also looks like a good candidate for some kind of tank. The big copper wheels will fit, with the same size tires it has now, 2.125. The big tires won't. I had plenty of room on my Schwinn using 26 x 2.125 tires.

2z4cn83.jpg
What kind of tires are those?

Those are 26 x 2.125 Schwinn Typhoon Cord tires. Even though my bike is a heavy frame, those fairly smooth tires and lightweight rims made a big difference. I caught up to a road bike on the bike trail, he said he was doing 20. Then I coasted for a quarter mile. Your light frame with light wheels will be a big plus.

2vj4xn4.jpg

OK, so this sucks. I spent half a day sanding and spraying my frame to get it how I like it, and I notice that the paint is chipping so easily. It has been in the back of my Yukon all week, and just from it moving across a few boxes, the paint is coming off. And since it is aluminum, it looks like ..... If it were steel, I would rust it and love it, but nOT! So I am not thinking I am going to have to either sand it down and find a better paint specifically for aluminum, or ditch the idea and maybe get it powder coated.. GRRRRRRRR

Did you use self etching primer first?

Also normal spray paint can take forever to dry threw and stop being soft and easy to damage. It seems to work better to use flat spray paints then after use clear.

Hey, so it has been a while. Took the family to Cali for vaca and had to put the bike on the back burner for a while. Anyway, all my parts came in and I got her put back together and ready to cruise. Tell me what ya think..

Back