Got a bike for free so decided to build it, Build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, so my girl really digs my bike, and now she wants me to build her one so we can cruise together.. I accepted the challenge and picked this old Huffy up today for $50.

Should be fun trying to make a cool chick bike. I am thinking adding some baby blue (her fav color) rims and maybe going with a white seat, new bars and white grips. Or maybe tan leather.. Maybe to a rack on the back and strap an old wine box to it for her purse or whatever if we go out bar hopping.

What year is the huffy? If it has HC followed by a bunch of digits on it post the 3 digits after hc and well know the month & year.
I just parted out an 84 women's huffy; looked about identical other than color & chainring

It looks like it might be a later model Good Vibrations. The overall condition looks really good. Nice canvas for making a bike for her.

Your bike looks great, nice simple build. Just wish there were somewhere to source a decent set of apes like that here in the UK without them sosting the earth! :mad:

Looking forward to seeing how your daughters bike turns out too.

Shame about the paint, you added 25 years to it... maybe it took offense to the premature aging:21:

I ended up redoing the paint in the spots that were chipping. Then layer down two cans of matte clear. Hopefully that will work. (If I am careful).

OK, so I took my bike a rather long ride today to get a good feel for it. Well, I gotta say, I loved all the attention I got. I was getting thumbs up and honked at a lot! LOL. BUT, it is clear to me that the huge ape hangers are just way to big. I never felt completely in control and always had to hang on. A little bit much for the cruising I want to do. So I am either going to step them down a size or go for a different look. I still think the ape hangers help make the bike, so I'm leaning towards a smaller version..

OK, got my girlfriends bike looking sharp. Just repainted the frame with a satin pink, painted the wheel blue. New tires, tubes, seat, bars and grips. I bought some chrome fenders online, but they are to fat to fit. I may try to fabricate them somehow when I have time.

Back