Got an idea for a canti tank but need some advice.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm not sure if this should go in the how to section, but I'm not even sure it would work. I woke up staring at a stack of cherry 7up cans and now I'm thinking I could possibly make a tank on the cheap by cutting up the cans and using the strips in layers to shape into a tank. Now what can I possibly do to support the thin metal. Would layering it strengthen it or would I need some sort in the inside or outside of it? I would like to wrap around the front to build a headlight into it, or the very least, a power source for it. Any tips and tricks would be helpful :]
Thanks,
Juggy Wuggy

i'm sure if you look around, you'll find a piece of sheet metal you could do the same to.
it will be stronger and easier to rivet/shape/etc.

if you can't salvage a piece, it's not expensive for the amount you require (you can even purchase it at home depot/rona etc)

a decent pair of tin snips will cut it like butter. :)
old propane cylinders also make excellent cheapo tanks

icyuod2 said:
i'm sure if you look around, you'll find a piece of sheet metal you could do the same to.
it will be stronger and easier to rivet/shape/etc....

all i know watch those curb alerts for appliances like washers and dryers and such, we usually scavenger the for flat metal off them and then make a pile for the scrapper. that thicker sheet metal should hold a curve better to the shap you want it. i really dig the can idea though, kind of like a patchwork tank :) just need a skeleton to stick it too if im understanding right.

I'll keep an eye out for some sheet metal and appliances to strip for another project and definitely invest in a pair of tin snips.

and yes, a skeleton is what I was thinkin. What would you suggest I make one to support it?
I was thinking about putting the unmarked side up so its just bare metal and to paint over that, but i might leave the label up haha

I'm thinking about using can tops and bottoms to create a skeleton for the tank since they seem to be pretty sturdy, and I'm planning on using the inside of the cans up so. I found some video they gave me an idea on making some cool designs on the tank. Maybe people can make custom badges for their bike with it. Seems simple and inexpensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rG4Wy6Oe4&feature=related

if you wanted a round tank for example.

cut a few plywood circles and notch them for the frame. then just connect with the pieces of steel.
same for more boxy tanks.
cut cross sections and connect with the sheet metal no real "skeleton" as such, more like the ribs on a boat.

i mean you could probably use rounded head nail's to connect the steel to the wood and they'd look like rivets. drill through the area's they overlap, and just pound in a row of nails.

icyuod2 said:
if you wanted a round tank for example.

cut a few plywood circles and notch them for the frame. then just connect with the pieces of steel.
same for more boxy tanks.
cut cross sections and connect with the sheet metal no real "skeleton" as such, more like the ribs on a boat.

i mean you could probably use rounded head nail's to connect the steel to the wood and they'd look like rivets. drill through the area's they overlap, and just pound in a row of nails.
Sounds like an awesome idea. :mrgreen:
I'm kinda goin for a retro rocket ship type look.
7987_1.jpg
image_medium.jpg

Zathura-Rocket-ship.jpg

Back