Got bored.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to sort and organize bikes and parts the last couple days. And got bored had an hour before I had to leave for work. So I decided to see what I could mash together from the pile of parts I hadn't gone through yet. This is how far I got before I had to go to work.
IMG_20240224_112250299_HDR.jpg

Marin hybrid 700c frame, a 26" MTB aluminum rear wheel and tire. A 20" late 70's early 80's 28h steele wheel. 90's freestyle tire, after market 32" triple tree forks. After market motorcycle handle bars. No brakes yet, can't shift it yet. I'll get to all that when I'm home from work.

Worked on building my own 20" aluminum disc brake front wheel this morning before heading to work. Had a few missing spokes with no correct replacements, so I removed more and repositioned them. Turned out better then expected and spins straight as an arrow. Next up is getting a rear disc brake caliper bracket installed for the rear wheel. Ordered all new brake kit for it. Decided to change the front road/hybrid bike 3 speed sprocket to a smaller 3 speed setup for more torque, still deciding on how many rear sprockets, 7,8,9, or 10 gears.
IMG_20240421_124001053.jpg

IMG_20240421_124011475.jpg

This morning I started trying to decide on some handlebars so I know how long to make the shift and brake cables. This combo looks odd, but id actually pretty comfortable. I'm a big guy so it stretches the bike without stretching the bike. I put a MTB flat bar in the standard position and going to use it to attach a headlight, cellphone holder and maybe a cup holder. Then again I'm may remove it all together as I'm still basically in the mock-up stage. If I keep it, I'll for sure replace it with a polished aluminum bar.
IMG_20240423_105821660.jpg

IMG_20240423_105812949.jpg

IMG_20240423_043934029.jpg

Worked on building my own 20" aluminum disc brake front wheel this morning before heading to work. Had a few missing spokes with no correct replacements, so I removed more and repositioned them. Turned out better then expected and spins straight as an arrow. Next up is getting a rear disc brake caliper bracket installed for the rear wheel. Ordered all new brake kit for it. Decided to change the front road/hybrid bike 3 speed sprocket to a smaller 3 speed setup for more torque, still deciding on how many rear sprockets, 7,8,9, or 10 gears. View attachment 262922
View attachment 262921
Love the spoke pattern and the red.

This morning I started trying to decide on some handlebars so I know how long to make the shift and brake cables. This combo looks odd, but id actually pretty comfortable. I'm a big guy so it stretches the bike without stretching the bike. I put a MTB flat bar in the standard position and going to use it to attach a headlight, cellphone holder and maybe a cup holder. Then again I'm may remove it all together as I'm still basically in the mock-up stage. If I keep it, I'll for sure replace it with a polished aluminum bar. View attachment 263033
View attachment 263034
View attachment 263035
That handlebar setup is crazy. I’ve thought doing the stem out of the bottom of the headset before but for a place to mount a light so it was centred. I’m going to have to look into that again.

While I was putting the bars on the stem I had the bar ends all the way forward on the ground while I started the bolts and I was thinking a short set of bars on a ebike Im kicking around in my head mounted upside down would make a nice set of highway pegs I could actually steer the bike a bit with. Kind of a forward pair of stirrups. It's thoughts like that the occasionally land me in the E.R. lol.

It looks like it is coming together nicely, and having two handlebars is actually interesting even if the second is only used to mount ancilliary stuff.

Would it be feasible to move the spokes on the front so that the the valve is half way between the spokes of in the midst of them?

Latest posts

Back