Gravedancer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(named after the creature, not the band)
It came to me as I was roused from my slumber in the wee hours of the morning...to use 3 bikes I had in the garage (one of them a finished project...oh well).
This little Spyder:

IMG-20120206-00271.jpg

A stale Breeze:
303204_2571551088035_1232003405_33107653_660555693_n.jpg

and the Rage of an Empire:
IMG-20120206-00270.jpg

I already had in mind which pieces I wanted of them, but I gave myself a little to work with on each cut. Then, the dissection began... As I finished cutting them, I gleefully began placing them on the floor in their new arrangement...a twisted grin upon my visage. My pile of discarded body parts began to grow.
At last! The last cut of my work. The grin grew again as I worked on the final arrangement...my chimera is beginning to become reality...

IMG-20120528-00459.jpg

Now, to begin the final design. Welding will have to wait until this weekend...but you can bet this beast will be on my mind until then...

Re: Chimera Chopper Project

It will have a 26" tire up front, and a 24" x 3" in the rear. I will convert the triple tree to a springer front end. With the 20" x 3" up front and an estimate of the outside of the rear tire...it sits at 7' long right now in this configuration.

Looks like a good start.Im keeping a eye on this one 8) :mrgreen:

Went through about 3 different ideas as far as a layout, and I think I have found it with this one. I love it! I ended up using the fork off the Breeze in it, and it makes me feel better about cutting it up.
2012-05-30_1557.png

(hopefully all of my notes show up on your screen)
I'm going to scrap the springer for now, but, once I get the frame finished and the rear tire on, I'm going to try to level the bottom of the frame by making the front fork longer.

Stoked to see this one in one piece, diggin the mockups for sure!

Anxious to see it all welded together! 8) :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
That frame flows really well--this will be really good when its done.

Do you have a plan for paint yet?
I was thinking primer, but there's a lot of welding, and all I have is a wire feed with no gas, so the welds aren't the best looking. I've gotten away with it on my other builds because there hasn't been as many, or they're in areas that I could use filler. I'm thinking about something with texture...I wish the rustoleum hammered paints were satin instead of gloss, that's kind of the look I want.

Cool design. It 's allways a kind of art,cutting up bikes at the right spot and piecing them together. In this case it looks very good. K.U.T.G.W.

wimpy said:
Cool design. It 's always a kind of art,cutting up bikes at the right spot and piecing them together. In this case it looks very good. K.U.T.G.W.
Thanks! I've had a lot of fun on this project so far. Little things are coming together in a cool way. like the curved small tubes on the Spyder frame fit right into the holes from the old chainstays from the breeze, and the tube size is the same from the breeze to the spyder.
I saw something in a different way when I took the pieces out and laid them out at my dad's before we started welding. I knew I wanted it lower than the last layout pic I posted here, but we figured out a better way to do it than I initially planned. I'm excited to post pics! The 24" tire I ordered won't work with the rim I have, so, I'll probably be running the mtn bike rear wheel I have pictured for awhile until I find/order a new 24" rim.

Thanks everybody!
It's primer black for now until I get a paint scheme figured out...I kind of like it like that though, but I just want to get it together and ride it!
Drilled a hole to mount the rear clamp brake, have to go grab a few chains to put together for it later. Don't want to rush, but could be riding it tonight or tomorrow night...and that makes me smile :D
(This might be the first bike that I'll post a pic of me sitting on just because of the stance and how cool it feels to sit on)

Back