Grips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has their favorites, so listing specific grips I like makes little sense. I will say that I prefer cushier grips on bikes where i'm leaning forward more, probably b/c I'm putting more weight on my wrists. I don't mind the soft ones on more upright bikes, but I find I can use rock-hard grips on a bike that puts most of my weight on the saddle. In fact, I'm just running shellacked cotton handlebar tape on my daily rider....

Last edited:
I like the old Coke bottle because they are so much longer, feels more like a motorcycle. Gary

If I'm riding upright & not leaning on the bars I'm not too picky most of the time. Heck I have ridden with some cloth medical tape rapped on the bars of a few beater bikes I've had.
I've had some nice ergonomic grips in the past on bike I leaned forward on and I found they do help because the extra palm space.

Everyone has their favorites, so listing specific grips I like makes little sense. I ill say that I prefer cushier grips on bikes where i'm leaning forward more, probably b/c I'm putting more weight on my wrists. I don't mind the soft ones on more upright bikes, but I find I can use rock-hard grips on a bike that puts most of my weight on the saddle. In fact, I'm just running shellacked cotton handlebar tape on my daily rider....
I agree with this. . I love My foam grips on my mountain bike where I'm leaning forward most of the time. But I have Vans Odi grips on my singlespeed that are hard and pretty comfortable

I think ODI longnecks are the best grips ever made, as far as comfort goes.
They've been in constant production now for 30+ years, as a testament to the quality.

as far as whether it looks right on your bike, is a whole nother story...

For mountain biking I start with a straight tubular rubber grip like the Odi . I then slide a piece of dense foam plumbing tubular pipe insulation over it. I get more cushion, and benefit from having my arthritic fingers in a wider open position on the grip.

Depends on the style you like, I've never been one for the foam 'beach cruiser' types.The coke bottle ones that Ian sells on here are some of the most comfortable ones I've purchased.

My .02

Agree with those new Coke grips. I'll also say that OOQI grips (made in Canada) are very comfortable.

Back