ORBO GT - The Pigeon Roost

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’d like to join my first ever build off!

Got myself a cheap 90’s GT Palomar, nothing really special or stand out about it. No special 90’s GT paint job, grip shifts and just plain boring.
What’s a Palomar?
IMG_5791.jpeg

This is how i bought it and the following pic is how it currently is after the tear down.
Plan on a complete rebuild, including new paint scheme and turning it into a flat bar/street gravel rig.

IMG_5690.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

I love the triple triangle frames! Kind of miss my steel one even if the one I have now is better in every other way.

Solid platform. Should make a nice little dirt road speedster. Believe it or not, pigeons can fly at speeds up to 90 mph!

That is... one odd name for a bike. If not for the definition, I would've thought "Palomar" was something more exotic, like the name of a Spanish city or volcano or something.

Odd name aside, that's a pretty nice bike. Looking forward to seeing how you paint it and modify it!

Thanks everyone for the boost. Feels different building a bike for the build off then to build one with no audience.

That is... one odd name for a bike. If not for the definition, I would've thought "Palomar" was something more exotic, like the name of a Spanish city or volcano or something.

Odd name aside, that's a pretty nice bike. Looking forward to seeing how you paint it and modify it!
I thought the actual meaning of the word would give it some deeper meaning, it didn’t. It was just funny!

Giving it that name did help me thinking of a paint theme, more on that later.

I was messing around with a 700c fork. My 26x2.1’s cleared ok so I’ll be running these forks (maybe). All depends on the v brake reach
IMG_5815.jpeg
IMG_5813.jpeg

Welcome to the fun of an RRB build off, and community of like-minded RaT RoD bike nuts!

Cool start with the GT frame. A current trend in the MTB world is the 'mullet' bike; bigger wheel and tire in the front (700c / 29") and a smaller in tbe rear (27.5 or 26"). That might be an option to set your build apart from otbers.

Love the idea of a pidgeon paint scheme!😍

Welcome to the fun of an RRB build off, and community of like-minded RaT RoD bike nuts!

Cool start with the GT frame. A current trend in the MTB world is the 'mullet' bike; bigger wheel and tire in the front (700c / 29") and a smaller in tbe rear (27.5 or 26"). That might be an option to set your build apart from otbers.

Love the idea of a pidgeon paint scheme!😍
What are the odds :) I was actually thinking of a mullet bike.
IMG_5908.jpeg

I see that it has a clear plastic spoke protector, something that seems to be generally unloved.

Would it be possible to paint the spoke protector in some way such that they become as viable as an aluminium one?

I actually have a translucent red plastic one marked 'ROMET' that came off a bike built by another company, who were buying parts off the rapidly failing Communist era Romet bicycle manufacturing company in the 1990s. I have it sitting on my shelf above my computer.

Now I see people fitting aluminium ones, but these clear plastic ones are there on the original bike in many people's projects, and then they are gone. I have three - the red one which has cracks, a clear one that has cracks and another clear one that has a large chain bash in it. If I find a good one then it will be painted and fitted... :)

I was looking at everyone’s builds and there’s some real good builds going on!

I go back and forth between a 700c and 26” wheel for the GT. I made a layover comparison and here it is. Considering if I go with the 700 it would be on a 700x47 tire. The pic show a 38c tire.

I like the angle approach with the 700 wheel in front seems as it might help with the rollover on gravel and fire roads.

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg
IMG_5987.jpeg

I have 2 vintage Roxshox forks.
Judy XC
Quadra 10
So far I’ve read the Judy ‘a we’re trash to some and ok for others. They prob both need to be rebuilt even though they both have good spring action.
I haven’t heard much negative about the Quadra yet but I’m just starting my research.
Anyone here have any history with these forks? Good or bad?
I prefer to rebuild the Quadra and use that due to the straight straight fork style it has.
Please steer me in the right direction if possible. I’ve been a single speed rigid fork type of guy my whole life, I usually ran away from spring forks.
IMG_6081.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back