Hammer a dented rim?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've disassembled the wheels on the junior stingray project. There are a couple pretty good blips in each rim; I'm debating the merits if trying to hammer them out. These are Schwinn S7 20" rims.

Thoughts?

Like- am I insane? Or is this a reasonable idea?

I think all S-7s are double wall rims? perhaps not...you can surly get the bead to be straight but it may still be dented when ya get done....whatdya got to loose though?...pound that thing into submission!

There is an unusually rare tool that uses adjustable rollers to eliminate bulges at the rim bead. It's so uncommon that I can't even locate a photo of one, but here is a kludge that someone tried to simulate the same action.

F2Z9R7NGHFJX1KU.LARGE.jpg

That works on a flared rim. For a rim that is crushed, there is another tool called the Rim 'Rench--it allows one to pry on the rim without damaging the bead hook.
p4pb8373964.jpg

Yeah, these old steel rims are definitely worth trying to fix thru hammers, c-clamps, creative use of a crescent wrench, mallets, etc. You probably won't get it perfect, but with patience, you can improve it, possibly to the point where it'll be perfectly functional. Like @CrazyDave said, you don't have much to lose on this one.

Yeah, these old steel rims are definitely worth trying to fix thru hammers, c-clamps, creative use of a crescent wrench, mallets, etc. You probably won't get it perfect, but with patience, you can improve it, possibly to the point where it'll be perfectly functional. Like @CrazyDave said, you don't have much to lose on this one.
You forgot C4....Composition C-4 , that is!

Back