Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hammered Higgins (Pretty much done)

ya know what? i was thinkin' bout givin' yer bike one of my votes for that hammer for bashin' the cagers, but when i saw the flask...im sold. yer my kinda guy

Thanks for the cool comments from viewers! I've gone for a couple of test rides. Didn't have much trouble getting on and off, but the crate limits where you sit. Thus I have made the crate a little easier to remove by reversing the bolts to make them studs attached to the rack with the nuts in the bottom of the crate. This allows for a quicker removal for me if I choose to ride crate free. Might add a false bottom to conceal the nuts. Working on tail light bracket.

5bc3706c.jpg

Awesome looking bike.
Since you have so much more time, maybe you should try to do a hammer kickstand.

aka_locojoe said:
Looks great. So many cool features.I didn't think about mounting/dismounting being a problem.
Thanks. I have to swing my leg pretty high to clear the crate. It is similar to getting on our cruiser tandem, you have to swing your leg pretty high to clear the rear handlebars.

kingfish254 said:
Awesome looking bike.
Since you have so much more time, maybe you should try to do a hammer kickstand.
Thanks! I had thought about the hammer kickstand previously, think you (Kingfish) had suggested it early on. I have an extra kickstand that is too short for a 26" bike. I'm thinking I might be able to center drill a hammer handle for the kickstand leg, cut the kickstand leg short, and epoxy the two together. The trick being right leg cut length and correct dril depth. Clearance at rear stay and crank arm may be an issue though.

I can see how the head would cause problems.
Maybe just use a hammer handle? That would still be very cool.
You have plenty of time to figure it out.

kingfish254 said:
I can see how the head would cause problems.
Maybe just use a hammer handle? That would still be very cool.
You have plenty of time to figure it out.
OK, here are the parts...My wife said, "I thought you were done". Probably one of those warning signs.
244e8d6b.jpg

Some photo's of the process...7/16" hole in the handle x length of my drill bit.
ce63d078.jpg

Almost one of those don't try this at home things...I'm a former Industrial Arts/Technology Education teacher with no good shop tools.
f1548540.jpg

Cut the kickstand short with hacksaw, twice to get right length. Also cut about 1-1/2" off the end of the hammer handle.
9f3aef37.jpg

End result, not sure I like it. Too cartooney??? Too Hammered??? Comments???
0507d038.jpg

Does have pedal clearance, put the Hammer up for safety sake, even though it ought to be "Put the Hammer Down".
efd082e7.jpg

Think I need to quit. Need to finish the tailight bracket and add a couple of graphics
4bcf5d1a.jpg

I like it a lot.
The only change I would make is to age the hammer a bit. It's to shiny and new and stands out. The handle needs to have that brown of the old hammer and the tires. And the head needs some rusty patina or maybe just paint the head black or better yet with your hammered paint.

bike2112 said:
What if you drill from the top of the hammer so the head is at the top when it is down?
The head would interfere with the crank and chain stay.

kingfish254 said:
I like it a lot.
The only change I would make is to age the hammer a bit. It's to shiny and new and stands out. The handle needs to have that brown of the old hammer and the tires. And the head needs some rusty patina or maybe just paint the head black or better yet with your hammered paint.
Think I argree with the aging comments of Kingfish and Peatbog.
This was a $6.00 HD hammer from China. The old ones cost considerably more in flea markets and antique stores. If I use stain I'll have to strip the handle finish as it has a pretty heavy clear coat of something, also the metal head.

Try the gel stains from Minwax, you can use them over anything.

Re: Hammered Higgins (Pretty much done - New Kickstand)

I almost want to say that it would look better with out the head on the hammer.

lildietz said:

That could look good as well.

kingfish254 said:
lildietz said:
That could look good as well.
Thanks, thinking I'll leave head on. Otherwise I need to buy another $5.00 hammer and cut the head off, drill another hole, or find a lone handle. Taking the head off the existing hammer will shorten it too much as the handle was already trimmed.
Anyway as of now I have stripped the finish off the hammer, applied Minwax Red Oak stain/sealer to wood and a coat of R-O Hammered Brown to the head. Probably need another coat of stain to darken it up. There is clearance at rear stay and crank arm even though it doesn't appear so.
8a43fb78.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins

kingfish254 said:
Super mock up. It's all coming together well.

Try using hose clamps for the ironwork. Those should screw down plenty tight.

Hammer and rack look great.

I saw the Seminole build had a sledge hammer as a temp kickstand and thought of your build. You could get one of thos skinny picture hanging hammer and make a kickstand out of it.

Keep up the good work!

SHARP SHARP SHARP!!!!

You can buy me a beer for that incredible :mrgreen: :p kickstand idea back on June 18th. 8)

Of course, I was totally inspired by your wicked build.

Re: Hammered Higgins

kingfish254 said:
kingfish254 said:
Super mock up. It's all coming together well.
Try using hose clamps for the ironwork. Those should screw down plenty tight.
Hammer and rack look great.
I saw the Seminole build had a sledge hammer as a temp kickstand and thought of your build. You could get one of thos skinny picture hanging hammer and make a kickstand out of it.
Keep up the good work!
SHARP SHARP SHARP!!!!
You can buy me a beer for that incredible :mrgreen: :p kickstand idea back on June 18th. 8)
Of course, I was totally inspired by your wicked build.
Then a beer it is, Cheers!
HammeredHigginsRRBO7FINAL024.jpg

Latest posts

Back