Hard time build with a question about the gork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6984.jpeg

Hi there starting a new build. Have CCD a quick question. Does anyone know how to fit my 26” tires on this fork? Having trouble making it fit. It keeps rubbing at the bottom of the fork. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What size 26-in tires and what size rims are they on? The height and profile will change drastically depending on a couple of variables

How close are we talking about here? Can we see what you're dealing with when they're mounted up now or you attempt to so we can see how much they're off

Here’s a quick video. I have an 80mm 26 rim form ruff and their 3” tires. Hopefully the video can show you with what I’m talking about. Thanks again for all the help. I’m new to this.

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpeg
    IMG_6993.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
That's a pretty fat Tire I'm thinking your springer is designed to work with a smaller tire, probably 26x2.25 or so.

*Edit: I clearly didn't know what I was talking about. Resolved below

Last edited:
If you want to keep the same wheel you can gently angle grind then file down the bottom of the steerer tube like what I did on my in the weeds build, you can buy separate springer fork steerers so you don't have to cut up your original steerer

Great looking build!

The 26 x 3.0 is 28" tall vice 26" for the smaller widths. I had the same exact clearance problem with 3" tires on other types of springers. I made extensions, but your fork isn't made for an extension, the brakes won't align and it'll lose it's great look.

If you want to keep the same wheel you can gently angle grind then file down the bottom of the steerer tube like what I did on my in the weeds build, you can buy separate springer fork steerers so you don't have to cut up your original steerer
Thank you. Do you happen to know where to buy the springs? I asked ruff cycles but they haven’t responded.

Thank you. Do you happen to know where to buy the springs? I asked ruff cycles but they haven’t responded.

Last month Ruff Cycles announced that they are closing down all of their custom bike sales and production. They are strictly ebikes now.

Not sure, here in NZ there is no such shop/bike shop that supply anything remotely for lowrider/springer forks unless someone specialy imports them, I've seen plenty on aliexpress but of cause you wait some time depending on where you live in the world, your best chance is to Google lowrider chopper parts and see what's readily available close to you

I wouldn't give up on that springer or wheel just yet.
Never mind my earlier post, I looked at pics of that springer from several different places. Many of them are using the 26 x 3.0 tires easily. The springer cage sits lower on them, with the little swing arm at the crown facing flat whereas yours points upward.
1684048983445.png

If you could position the cage lower you would have it. The top and bottom look like they are one piece.
It may be the length of the headtube limits the positioning of the cage. I'd have to see a diagram of that springer to get a better idea. Also if there are any spacers on the top part of the fork that are keeping it raised up.

Not too sure if this would work on springers but with my bike I made mod's .. If you really love that fork and wheel combo then Extend the fork dropouts, just cut em and weld on a couple longer ones!

Not too sure if this would work on springers but with my bike I made mod's .. If you really love that fork and wheel combo then Extend the fork dropouts, just cut em and weld on a couple longer ones!
The fork length isn’t the issue. The fork will accommodate the 26 inch wheel no problem. I have 26 x 4 inch tires on mine and still have clearance.
IMG_3506.jpeg

Back