Have others been dog bit while riding or had close calls?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On vacation in Lancaster County Pennsylvania we had an encounter with a pit bull, he chased us and when we stopped he was dying for us to pet him, so we did, and then he wouldn't go back home, followed us about a mile. I tried to "shoo" him away, but no luck. I picked him up and sat him on my lap and sent my family on ahead. I rode my '56 Higgins with huge apes (I hope you've all seen it) back down the hill WHILE holding him and put him back at his house. When he turned his back to me I took off hard, breaking my chain. The "POP" was loud enough that he heard me and came back and followed me as I walked my bike back to where my family was. He eventually lost interest, but it was a LONG walk/coast with no brakes back to the hotel.

On vacation in Lancaster County Pennsylvania we had an encounter with a pit bull, he chased us and when we stopped he was dying for us to pet him, so we did, and then he wouldn't go back home, followed us about a mile. I tried to "shoo" him away, but no luck. I picked him up and sat him on my lap and sent my family on ahead. I rode my '56 Higgins with huge apes (I hope you've all seen it) back down the hill WHILE holding him and put him back at his house. When he turned his back to me I took off hard, breaking my chain. The "POP" was loud enough that he heard me and came back and followed me as I walked my bike back to where my family was. He eventually lost interest, but it was a LONG walk/coast with no brakes back to the hotel.

LOL, a true pitty will most likely do this. They are terrible guard dogs and even the meanest won't be human aggressive. i laughed because that reminded me of my silly pitty.

Last edited:
Great story Yooth! The only problem with PitBull's is bad owners, and the same can be said for almost any dog.

Luke.

I hate to subject jump but,
There are BAD pit bull bloodlines, genetically identical to the previous generation...mom was it's sister kinda breeding.
To directly name 2 that I know to be defective, "Gator," bloodline from here in Floriduh. And "red devil," from the michisuck tri-state area. The gators are long since gone, but were incredibly violent, bit without reason. The red devils are still around and stoopid. If breathing didn't come naturally they'd die. Stupid will bite.
If a bicyclist was ever attacked by one of these "bloodline," creatures they'd have to fight for their life.
I love my mutt bulls, and clear definition of a pit/pitt bull, pity, or american terrier is not out there, so I coined mutt bull. Genetic tree has wide reaching branches, not looking like a stick!

Back