Hawthorne Skip Tooth Springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this for the springer, I hope I can get it apart. I called the WD-40 factory and told them they might consider working the weekend.
100_3169.jpg

tin machine said:
get you a can of bp blaster penetrating oil and soak it for about three day , you will be surprised at how it eats at rust , stuffs the real deal , nice bike 8)

I'll second the PB Blaster suggestion. I never used the stuff until my most recent find. The stuff is awesome.

I went out and got a can, its soaking right now. Even if it doesn't work as penetrating oil it has a lovely fragrance. I can switch it up with the Aquavelva.

Springman74 said:
I went out and got a can, its soaking right now. Even if it doesn't work as penetrating oil it has a lovely fragrance. I can switch it up with the Aquavelva.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I just need to find a woman that likes grease stained hands and the smell of PB. :D

Awesome bike. Hope it comes apart fairly easy. I aggree on the P.B. Blaster. I love using WD-40 but if I have some nasty stuff to brake loose I get out the P.B. Blaster. You can smell the difference in the garage the next day. Good luck on the bike. Gary

It came apart without much effort after a good soak. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I have another problem. The head tube on the boys bike I was going to put the springer on is shorter than the bike I took the springer off of. I thought about threading the stem farther down running the nut on then cutting the stem down, or cutting some out of the middle of the stem and welding it back together so I wouldn't have to find a die, or just getting a different frame to fit the fork. Any suggestion on this topic would be appreciated.

Springman74 said:
It came apart without much effort after a good soak. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I have another problem. The head tube on the boys bike I was going to put the springer on is shorter than the bike I took the springer off of. I thought about threading the stem farther down running the nut on then cutting the stem down, or cutting some out of the middle of the stem and welding it back together so I wouldn't have to find a die, or just getting a different frame to fit the fork. Any suggestion on this topic would be appreciated.

Your truss rods will be too long also. You can probably bend them though. Gary

Love that springer!

That is the exact same springer that I am using on my FlexLiner 7 build off bike.

*pic removed, because I felt like I bogarted the thread. My Bad. :oops:

B607 said:
Springman74 said:

Your truss rods will be too long also. You can probably bend them though. Gary

The Truss rods if your very carefull use a vise resquish the end where they need to be shorter providing they are hollow inside (most are ) then redrill them .. then trim off the old ends & use a bench grinder to smooth the ends out. Or just keep the extra length for reflectors. ((( Like I said if your careful )) This has worked great for me on Columbias in the past.

If the spacer method is used, overall fork and truss rod length remain unchanged. :| If the steer tube is shortened, then the truss rod length will need to be adjusted as well.

Thanks, everybody for the tips. I haven't had time to work on it anymore yet, but the pic kingfish 254 added certainly is inspirational.

Latest posts

Back