Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired heavy weight.

Isn't it possible to get hold of a 5-speed internal gearhub (3 or 8-speed will work also). And mount it like on this pic below. It's a bit more work,but if you figure it out well, the result is great. At least it looks better than a derailler and there's no problem with the chainguide/-tensioner.

That's what i will do for my trike with my alfine 11 speeds (second sprocket mounted on the disk support)

transmissiontrike.jpg

wimpy said:
Isn't it possible to get hold of a 5-speed internal gearhub (3 or 8-speed will work also). And mount it like on this pic below. It's a bit more work,but if you figure it out well, the result is great. At least it looks better than a derailler and there's no problem with the chainguide/-tensioner.
Green-Chain said:
That's what i will do for my trike with my alfine 11 speeds (second sprocket mounted on the disk support)
Good idea, been trying to avoid the secondary drive/jackshaft idea, but maybe there is a reason everybody does it hey???

As to an internal geared hub, I have to admit, I have never used one, never owned one. The older bikes in Australia are rare and even rarer with a multi speed hub. Can always buy new, and that is a good option, but already way over my budget on this build... (Was over budget even before buying the caddy lights!)

Been working on another idea in the mean-time, the taillights turned up today, will have to change the rear stay to suit the way I want to mount them anyway, so may as well change it to suit the derailler while I am at it...

Im thinking of mounting the taillights one on top of the other with a little fin inbetween, to the stays, covering the freewheel and derailler anyway, should be able to come up with a nice flow with the chain guard I have designed in my head... Hopefully come up with a nice, simple, clean look in the end.

Will have to do some more thinking, probably make a decision after the front cranks go in...

Luke.

Edit: Just did a quick search on eBay au, cheapest I can get an internal gear hub is $100, I have 3x5 speed freewheels, and matching deraillers in my collection, along with plenty of spares...

Green chain, that 11 speed alfine hub you are fitting to yours... :shock: ... $600+ over here... Guess your budget is much bigger than mine! :D

I know from building Fugsley that chain lines are critical for these beastly builds. Looking back at the picture of your freewheel, it kinda looks like only the lowest 3 gears would clear the rear frame. If the front crank is where I think it is, it looks like the upper chain line slopes downward from rear to front and that may also cause clearance issues of the rear frame. It's gonna be a tricky problem to work through.

Maybe you could use a double jackshaft design where the the front jackshaft pulls the chain under the centerline of the frame, then put the deraileur on the rear jackshaft that would be juse below the seat and this jackshaft would pull the chain back out to the rear wheel freewheel. Just a weird random idea.

LukeTheJoker said:
Did you end up getting a ride on Outlaw 3's Trans-Am?

Luke.

Luke,
I didn't get to ride Ruslan's Trans Am, but he was cool enough to meet me for beers. Great guy with some other very cool builds.

IMG_0520.jpg

If you know somebody who's coming to the Netherlands for a visit or for work,I could help you out with an 8-speed SA hub.

wimpy said:
If you know somebody who's coming to the Netherlands for a visit or for work,I could help you out with an 8-speed SA hub.
Thanks for the offer Wimpy!

Spent today working on the rear end of the bike, decided to go with the derrailer system (Sorry everybody!) So making some fairly large changes to that part of the frame, still a work in progress at this point, so no pictures yet.

The chain and derailler will be completely hidden once the chain guard is made, I have a plan in mind that will hopefully surprise a few people...

Luke.

Just realised it has been quite a time since I posted up a bike related photo... so here is one of the 1959 Cadillac lights I bought. Turned out that they are decent quality, metal base reproductions, which surprised me because I thought I was getting the cheapy plastic chrome versions...

DSC00130 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

If I was getting the cheap plastic chrome versions, I was going to remove the lenses out of these and make my own bases for them, in satin black. Seeing as these are decent ones, I will keep the bases and find some chrome Cadillac badges for the tank to match them. Have to think about what to use those gold coloured stickers for, might stick them on the Wife's Camry! :lol:

Luke.

Got something achieved at last...

The frame lost a lot of its style and appeal for me when I removed the curving lower stay, so took a fair bit to get motivated to work on it again. The change to 2x1 from the 2x2 under the derailer took some working out, as did the rear-entering support, as there is not much spare room in the wheel offset. The modifications will be hidden behind the taillight/chain guard cover when it is done, that is why the are just square corners etc. so far...

DSC00132 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Also added the seat spring mounts as you can see, still keeping the seat a secret at this point though! :mrgreen:

Stay tuned...

Luke.

Those taillights are sick! I hope that there are some cool fins planned.

kingfish254 said:
Those taillights are sick! I hope that there are some cool fins planned.
You couldn't build a Cadillac bike without fins!

This is an early sketch I did just after cutting off the lower stay, trying to get some idea of how to make it look good...

DSC00133 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

It may not be clear on the 2 dimensional sketch, but that thing between the lights is a fin.

Things have changed a bit since this early sketch, for instance, the lights and in fact the entire cover will sit far lower compared to the tire, I may make 2 fins instead of just the one and probably wont make the cover quite so curvy either...

Still very much a work in progress!

Luke.

This is amazing!!!
I´m subscribed...

.. you are insane by the way, in a good way. :mrgreen: :wink:

Gdcast said:
... you are insane by the way, in a good way. :mrgreen: :wink:
There is a bad way? I enjoy my insanity every day! :D Oh, and glad you like the build, it is a bit insane but I am enjoying it! No doubt going to enjoy riding it even more!

Picked up some steel from the scrap yard to make the light mount/guard/cover/whatever...

DSC00136 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Yes that is stainless steel, I only got it because they did not have the curves and transitions I wanted in mild steel, still going to paint it up to match the rest of the bike, except for the trim on the fins which will be made from one of the smaller tubes or bars there, which will get polished up like a real Cadillac fin...

While there I found this cool little steel bodied light, shame there wasn't another like it, because I really think this bike needs a bigger headlight or two smaller headlights, Just save it for another build I guess!

DSC00137 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Also picked up some girls bikes that he was about to bin, nothing too special, but that top one should make a nice girls muscle bike with some small changes...

DSC00138 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I grabbed the little 12inch because I have been watching "oleskool" build his bike (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64197) and love the way it looks, so needed that front wheel... Awesome vision for a 13 year old bulder...

Stay tuned, more after this message from our sponsors!

Luke.

Seriously cool build man. Loving it!!

Ok, so my health is not too crash hot at the moment, but that does not mean im not thinking my way through things on the build. I tend to like to have a fair idea how I am going to do things before I start, so I use my down time for thinking...

I have the cover/guard/taillight mount worked out in my head, so next time im up to it, it should fly together.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about how to do the tank and what headlight/s to use... Got a good idea to try for the tank, still needs some working out but should work, as to the headlight, I have come up with an idea that I would like your collective opinions on...

DSC00144 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSC00142 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

You have to imagine it with a fat tank on the frame too... Should be just the right height to clear the tire at full travel but still allow me to see over the top when riding. (just!)

These are the headlights from my Austin truck, a bit beyond salvaging for it, but I should be able to make one from the two of them for the bike...

DSC00143 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The lights take a standard 7 inch round bulb, so getting a h4 style removable bulb insert and changing it to led is not an issue, cheap and easy.

So, yes or no?

Luke.

Ok, was going stir crazy doing nothing this afternoon, knew I was not up to doing much but wanted to do something...

So I found an old sealed beam headlight and one of the spare led lights I bought a while back (half price $3.50 Supercheap auto for those in Aust)

DSC00145 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
a little judicious grinding with a diamond tile blade. PLEASE USE SAFETY GEAR IF DOING THIS! Please use a dremel or something similar if you have one, as it would be far safer than the grinder with a diamond blade!

DSC00146 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Ok, so it didnt come out perfectly round as the last little bit broke before I finished but it followed the cut line around and so was very close and I just hot melted the leds in.

DSC00147 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Works well!

DSC00148 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I am not saying that this means I will be using the vintage headlight, I just wanted to try it and figured at the very least I would end up with one awesome torch!

Still waiting on your verdict on the light, I think if there was a bike that could pull off a full size headlight, this would have to be it wouldn't it? Does not mean it should have one though...

Luke.

looks fine, go for it. But I'd use a piece of steel. That brick wont weld in nice...LOL

I think the light is the perfect scale for this build. It will flow well with the rest of the bike.

Looks like the big light is a go!

And regarding the brick... :D Well, that new mortar migwire I am having trouble getting to feed properly in my machine, am I doing something wrong? Do I need a teflon liner like Aluminium wire? Anyone had sucess?

Might just use steel I guess. :(

Luke.

Back