hechtrod's intro-UTAH

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name is Chris "hechtrod" Hecht from Utah. Just purchased my first "real" bike. I don't know what it is. The previous owner said its an "AMC". I haven't been able to find anything under that brand name. I found this site through bikeforums.com. Anyway, hopefully I can figure out how to post pics so I can get help. I bought it for $80. I think I did pretty good. It's missing the light, but besides that, it has great patina and whitewalls. ;) So, I went for a ride a few weeks ago in Sunset Beach/Bolsa Chica State Beach in Socal with some friends and I chose the cruiser with the bell. ha ha I had a blast. I knew I had to find my own. I have an '87 Fuji road bike that I bought last summer for $200 to exercise on. I ride it with my kids but I'm all hunched over on those handle bars like a racer and it just wasn't any fun. I'm also a huge hot rod, rat rod, anything old car (vdubs too) fanatic and so since I can't afford those yet, I think I may have found my new hobby. Anyway, if you have an idea who my bike is made by, let me know.
hechtrod
ps So, for now, pics are on my blog: http://hechtspeed.blogspot.com/

WELCOME!

Schwinnspastic said:
welcome Chris....cant say who sold your bike originally but it looks like a Murray built bike sold under several brand names in the 60s
sit back and enjoy the ride
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll see what a search on the net shows for vintage Murray's. Thanks for the tip. I'm a total newbie. I know cars pretty well, but not bikes. Hopefully I can pick up this bici stuff quick.
Chris

Definitely looks like a 1959-1961 Western Flyer or J.C. Higgins from my internet searches of oldroads.com and stuff. Coooooooollllllllllllll! This thing is about 50 years old. How cool is that. ;) ha ha
Chris

hechtrod said:
Definitely looks like a 1959-1961 Western Flyer or J.C. Higgins from my internet searches of oldroads.com and stuff. Coooooooollllllllllllll! This thing is about 50 years old. How cool is that. ;) ha ha
Chris
I'm no expert, but the dropouts where the rear wheel attaches and the front fork are definitely of a Murrsay design. Murray built the Spaceliner(I have 2 of these) for Sears and they had the same dropouts and some of theme used the same fork. J.C. Higgins was a Sears brand, so it very well could be a J.C. Higgins. Any way you cut it it's a flippin' sweet ride. :D Nice score man.
Brigham

Back