Hello everyone! New member check in!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How yal doin? Alright so I'm now a new member, my name is Travis and I am the owner of Iron Spade Cycles. We are a CNC capable total custom motorcycle and bicycle fabrication shop located in South Orange County California. I recently moved to the OC from Denver Colorado where I had been operating my business for the last 7 years. I was also instrumental in the formation of "The Denver Cruisers" over 7 years ago. An adult cruiser bicycle club which meets every Wednesday evening throughout the year (weather permitting) to ride the city streets and have a generally good, somewhat safe time with friends of similar interests.

Yes I know some would say it was really a drinking club or a pub crawl, but what do most single adults do after work? Meet for drinks at "happy hour"? At least we all did it on bikes and not in cars. That was the beauty of living in Denver, downtown was relatively within bike riding distance for most people so the ride home was sometimes a sobering experience. Over the 7 years of existence, the "Denver Cruisers" have grown from a select handful of die-hard regulars to over 300 on this years official opening ride. It can be pretty nuts when you call a bar earlier in the week to tell them that they better have a few extra bar tenders on Wednesday night cause we plan on stopping buy with anywhere from 100 to 300 thirsty 30'somthings. I actually had friends who own certain bars call me and let me know they would be happy to host and evening at their perspective watering hole. I now think it has grown too big for what we originators had planned from the beginning but that what happens when you want more people involved, more people invite more people, etc, etc...

Although those days of drinking are behind me, living the life of a cruiser bike fanatic are not. Over these last 7 years I've built over a two dozen Rat-rod style British choppers and 6 or 7 one off custom cruiser bicycles and I know what kind of market is out there for this style of bicycle. A half dozen companies have sprung up almost overnight offering cheap Chinese built cruiser bikes for as little as $99.99 and their profit margin is still 40 or 50 points. It's really frustrating when you buy a bike off the internet for $100 and shipping ends up costing more than the bike itself. And the quality of a Chinese knockoff has to be suspect. I've always been a firm believer in the idea of (bargains aside) you get what you paid for! And if you don't like the price you better learn how to make it your .... self!

That being said I noticed over the years that just about every hobby but ours has a long list of "how to" book titles easily accessed through Amazon books. I've planned to change all that. I am currently writing a self explained "how to" book on designing and fabricating adult size lowrider stretch cruiser bicycles. Wow that a mouthful all in one sentence! Over the last several months I was given the opportunity to build a complete electric powered stretch cruiser for a close friend that we have aptly named "Death Machine #9". All through the build we have documented every step along the way and the idea for a book was alway lingering in the back of my mind. So now I'm working on other area's of the book and I am officially asking for input from the masses. I would appreciate any and all contributions. Specifically I am looking for example of how other builders have come up with their own creations and unique ideas.

I want this book to be like a Bible of knowledge for the average Joe or Jane custom bike builder. I'm planning to include chapters on bicycle geometry and safe design theory in layman's terms, custom frame design, fork design, suspension, components, drive line, wheels tires & brakes, Jigs and Fixtures for fabrication, bodywork, and applying finishes. I will cover topics such as welding/brazing with a propane, oxy/ace, and TIG/MIG torches and machines. A chapter will also be included on fabricating fake "gas tanks" that can double as storage containment or hold batteries for headlight and tail lights.

The book is already in the works and from it will undoubtedly spawn my next literary creation, "Bike Builder" Magazine! A quarterly printed and distributed, all color, small format magazine such as "Dice" magazine. Once the mag is in production I will need all of your help as I will be including the best of the best within these pages as well as "how to" tech articles and some limited advertising for custom fabricators and parts companies. Gentlemen I want this to work and I think it will, no I know it will.

Thanks for all your help, talk soon, Travis

Welcome to the forum Travis.

Funny you mention the magazine....that was the topic of a thread here at one time....creating a printed vintage bicycle magazine.

I think we all decided it would take too much time and too much money...ha ha!

Maybe you're braver than the rest of us. :wink:

It's funny but I've got a buddy from South Florida that used to tell me every time he saw me, in that southern draw, "How yal doin? How's your mom an them?"
He used to bust me up every time! I'm originally from Houston Texas and I've got a lot of family in East Texas around Athens and Tyler so Red Neck is in the blood!

So too is building something from nothing. As far as the magazine is concerned, I already have a business so this is just for fun and maybe a tax write off if it goes in the proverbial hole. Money really is not that much of a concern and a quarterly mag printing somewhere around 1000 copies at $10 each retail isn't going to make me rich either. I just want to promote this industry and share my 30+ years of knowledge in fabrication. I'm a single adult with no children, and I think every father should teach his sons his trade and skills as my father once did for me. I'm just passing on those skills to whom ever is interested.

Later Travis

WELCOME Travis!..........We be your NEW family! :D

You said the phrase that pays..."I'm a single adult with no children" :lol:

I'm married with 3 kiddos under the age of 5 so I'm not the best candidate for starting a printed magazine that doesn't pay my mortgage.

The only thing I do have in my court is a love for bikes and 12 years experience as a professional graphic designer.

Everyone here will be happy to contribute as long as there's free advertising for the forum...he he. :wink:

I have 11 year print and graphic design experience, am completely into my bikes and am single and just a tad over 30..and still trying to stop acting like I am 21....welcome

hey hey, welcome.. as this is my first post also..

if you plan on doing some sort of bike night, i'd be willing to throw my new cruiser i got into my van, drive out to where ever the meetup spot is, and go cruising from there..

im from long beach

Back