Hello from NorCal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty excited I found this forum and website. Always been a bike lover, raced BMX when I was a kid and now I just love to ride everything from time trial bikes, fixies to my cruiser.

Currently in the process of restoring (my first attempt at restoration ever) of my 1954 Ward Hawthorne. To start I'd like to confirm the year and model, but I can't find an easy website for this? Also I'm not sure about the best way to attack the process of removing all the old paint? Thoughts/ideas for either?

Caleb

Welcome aboard!

Best bet to find out what year and model would be to post your question and a photo or two in the I.D. and valuation section, someone should be able to help.

To remove paint I use a wire brush wheel on and angle grinder, it removes everything fast, requires the use of face protection though, the wires can break off at high speeds. Others have good success with paint strippers and the like, it is just a matter of what works for you and what you are comfortable with. :thumbsup:

Luke.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint stripper, I had no idea that existed! Lots of small impossible to reach with brush or sandpaper on my forks - I just watched a couple YouTube videos and I'll be using that. As for the pics, I'm not sure I'm understanding how the formatting works on the forum, I'll have to work on getting my photos on here. Thanks!

Caleb

For posting photos, the easiest way is to become a pro member (small fee required). Really simplifies the process. With pro membership you also have a few other bunnies that simplify things.

Bart

Back