Help!!! Derby Musclebike???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My dad got me this derby muscle bike for me for my birthday. The guy he got it off of didn't know anything about it and I can't find anything on the Internet about this bike. I don't even know the name of the bike. All I do know is that the head badge says Derby W. Germany. The chain guard also says derby on it. I'm asking for help on what the bike is called, what year it is from and anything else you great people can tell me about my bike. Please and thank you!

1354222c.jpg

ca7d5afa.jpg

ca33d732.jpg

8d0cb2e2.jpg

06dc2ef6.jpg

2c3a6f42.jpg

It was apparently a re-brand. Over on bikeforums somebody recently posted pics of a Derby made by Snyder, and a couple of other people commented about having Derby bikes that were made in Germany.

Thank you both. I was wondering also if this bike is rare in any way. Since its hard to find anything on the Internet I'm not sure. Another thing is do you have any idea what year, or around what years, this came out?

Can you get any larger photos? It's really hard to see details/components.

There's very little info on German imports, but my guess is mid to late 1960s.

After searching I think I found a match on the frame:
hwe.jpg

Maker identified as HWE, for what it's worth. :|
http://bonanzarad.wordpress.com/

It looks very similiar to the Puch made musclebike, but Puch was Austrian and if you compare a Puch with your bike the proportions and some of the minor details (like the mounting points for the chainguard) are a little off. HWE was a West German maker too, so it seems the most likely answer.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Now I need to find the components to get the internal 3 speed rear hub working right I have the shifter, cables and the hub obviously but none of the things needed to actually switch gears. That's why I'm in need to know the year and what kind of bike this is so I can get the parts. But seriously thanks for the help

Shimano 333 parts should be pretty easy to find. Ebay is usually swamped in the stuff.

So that's why most of the little parts say 333...I was wondering what that was for. I thought that the 333 was just the parts number. Now I going right on eBay thank you!

I see tons of parts for the hub I have but I'm not really sure what parts I need. I really need your help on this one. If you'd like me to put some pic up of the hub and shifter cable so you can see what's missing just let me know.

Yes post a picture of where parts are missing. Most stuff is not very hard to find.

Okay here's three pics

I don't know if you can tell but there's a hole in this side of the axle
b1d93380.jpg

This is the end of the shifter cable
80b1f6d9.jpg

This is the other side of the hub...the axle has no hole on this side
2b168486.jpg

You're missing the bell crank and plunger. I think there's an NOS one on ebay, don't know about the plunger though. I'm sure sombody here probably has these parts, try the wanted forum.

Okay the bell crank and the plunger got it! Thank you, I'll let ya know if I have any more questions since you've been so much help.

mos6502 said:
You're missing the bell crank and plunger. I think there's an NOS one on ebay, don't know about the plunger though. I'm sure sombody here probably has these parts, try the wanted forum.
Does it matter what kind of plunger it is? I can't find any shimano 333 plungers

I've heard of people using a nail with the point filed off, but I don't know what size you'd need. Try asking in the bike talk forum or the how to section, somebody's sure to know.

Okay thanks I think im ginning hurt my pride a little and ask the local bike mechanic to get the right plunger. It'll save me time and money hopefully.

Back