Help ID this bike. Looks like a shelby, weird serial

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So all the shelbys I see over in the Cabes set all have the letter at the front of the serial.

My friend gave me frame yesterday. Said it was a 32 or 33 Shelby. Looks like a Shelby. G code is around 33. Just doesn't match the pattern. Almost looks like the G was cut off on the left side and restamped on the right.

20230416_073625.jpg

20230416_073454.jpg

20230416_073524.jpg

Outside of my area of expertise.

All thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.

So all the shelbys I see over in the Cabes set all have the letter at the front of the serial.

My friend gave me frame yesterday. Said it was a 32 or 33 Shelby. Looks like a Shelby. G code is around 33. Just doesn't match the pattern. Almost looks like the G was cut off on the left side and restamped on the right.

View attachment 228499
View attachment 228500
View attachment 228501
Outside of my area of expertise.

All thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.
Yes Shelby, those are Shelby head cups. I'm no help with darte other then it is same frame as my '46 Traveler

Not sure if it is relevant, but My 40 rollfast had totally different dropouts. Including dropstand. I know it was a Schneider frame.
20230416_170328.jpg

20230416_170107.jpg

Brazed harder pressed on the seatstay dropout on the Shelby, less on the chain stay.

Harder press on the chainstay on the rollfast, and only the end on the seatstay.

The Shelby is also a lot heavier than the rollfast.

So the bare-metal frame is not a HP Snyder, DP Harris or Rollfast; it is a Shelby Ohio bike.

Shelby started about ~1925, and began to re-use alphabet letters, sometime about ~1940(?); and they seem to skip letters too(!)(?).

Maybe they reached their millionth bike, and did not wish to continue, with stamping another (8th?) character?

Post-war, Shelby used those puddle brazed joints; not sure why so much of the bike looks like a brassy color?

The protrusions on the bottom bracket joints are not as pronounced as those on Snyder-built frames.

Last edited:
There's no way I could memorize all the different serial codes, so I keep a book of index cards that have the lists I've gleaned from my research over the years. My Shelby list isn't verified and I don't know if it's good until I can positively ID a bike or two with it's manufacture date already known. I'll keep looking for more info.
I gave the Snyder number if it was Snyder made. It doesn't look that way, but before 1940 I don't have a lot of info on Snyder frames, just the numbers from both factories.
My unverified Shelby numbers show G as 1923 and used again in 1945. Once I have a number and date, I'll look for that bike on a search and see if I can find the same bike or frame. I had no luck with Shelby, no dates were given or numbers on the bikes I saw. One Shelby looks to have the same frame. They didn't list age or serial number.
1681727134029.png

There's no way I could memorize all the different serial codes, so I keep a book of index cards that have the lists I've gleaned from my research over the years. My Shelby list isn't verified and I don't know if it's good until I can positively ID a bike or two with it's manufacture date already known. I'll keep looking for more info.
I gave the Snyder number if it was Snyder made. It doesn't look that way, but before 1940 I don't have a lot of info on Snyder frames, just the numbers from both factories.
My unverified Shelby numbers show G as 1923 and used again in 1945. Once I have a number and date, I'll look for that bike on a search and see if I can find the same bike or frame. I had no luck with Shelby, no dates were given or numbers on the bikes I saw. One Shelby looks to have the same frame. They didn't list age or serial number.
View attachment 228542
Thank You @Wildcat i appreciate you looking into it. i am glad you have your book and keep track. As i said, I don't know a lot about it other than searching things out and comparing online.

That pic looks to match the frame 100.

Found this 38 on the site, frame looks identical. https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/lets-see-your-shelbys.55626/post-536142
This 39 as well. https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/lets-see-your-shelbys.55626/post-850356

I think you are correct with your initial thoughts.

Last edited:
To me the number looks like G 5 1 8 9 6 and then there is an extra 'G' stamped on afterwards.

The first G has been done really close to the edge and has something half covering it up.

Latest posts

Back