Help me identifiy a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well I have been doing the freecycle.org thing and have gotten ride of some crap I had lying around and have also taken in three bikes. 1 is a next comfort bike, aka the wifes new long hauler, lol. Second is a walmart full suspension mtb with bad chain rings and no pedals, aka sold on craigslist and the 3rd is some old womans cruiser. I really dig the look of the cruiser but IM not sure who made it. The head badge says made in w. germany and the lady who gave it to me has no idea where she got it. Its 3 speed hub and skinny tires with smaller bars. Here are some pictures, can anyone here let me know what I have and if its common or actually worth something. If its worth something Ill sell the frame, if not then Ill use it for peices to stretch other bikes.

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Edit I have found out the hub is a Sturmey archer england AW hub from 1972. this is supposibly a common hub but atleast I know that this bike is probably a 72'

I would say that's a safe bet. The Sturmey's are good stuff! You might want to use it on a fuiure project. I would say, have at it! Theres really nothing there at all very remarkable. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!

There are two strange things about this thing; 1 Why is it an English hub, and not a Torpedo, made by Sachs? 2 Is it really 'made in Germany"? German products are known to last. The words to describe the 'quality' of this uhhh... bike... are not allowed here. Do the rest of the world a favor and cut it up.
And yes, keep and use the Sturmey Archer hub, it is the only decent part.

From what I see, those look suspiciously like raised center Schwinn S-5 rims, which would explain the sturmey hub. Take a look and see if the rims are stamped schwinn, or if the tires say anything about fitting s-5 and s-6 rims. Otherwise, parts bike... ~Adam

Ill check the rims, I know the front has a mad flat spot in them and the back had a busted spoke. I cut the back spokes out to free up the s/a which is getting torn apart and cleaned up for my build. Other then that its a parts bike. I cleaned the bars and grips flipped them and stuck them on my bike. Might cover the seat, might not.

Back