Help me identify this Brooks Saddle!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooks1.jpg

Brooks2.jpg

Brooks3.jpg

Just scored this today. A 2-tone Brooks saddle in very nice shape. It's not leather. Age is unknown I'd guess 60's The hardware looks authentic but the springs are funky. It says :

Brooks
Made in ENGLAND
PAT. NO

and off to the side it says:
A

I've found no reference to non leather Brooks saddles. Is this off a Raleigh or something?

OK according to BikeForums and from there Sheldon Browns I have an approximately 1976 Brooks Mattress Saddle.

Sheldon Brown's site has this to say about it.

Mattress saddle

A traditional upholstered saddle, as used on older, less-expensive English 3-speeds (better models used leather saddles.) A mattress saddle has multiple small coil springs running along between the top and bottom of the frame, covered with a layer of felt or horsehair, and a leatherette/vinyl top. This type of saddle almost always has large coil springs at the back of the frame.

Now what do I do with it?...hmmm

I've got a similar one w/coil springs on my '71 Triumph (made by Raleigh) I wish I could find a real Brooks saddle on a $10 bike.

triumph.jpg

I have two or three of these seats, they are on 58Western Flyer girls 3 speed, 66 Western Flyer London Flyer 3speed and a 65 girls sears 3 speed this one is black. These are pretty nice seats. Paint your black and then you can use it on anything.

I just so happen to have a full leather cleaning/repair/color kit from Leather Masters thanks to my line of work. Works well on Vinyl too. Hmmm. A black and white saddle would work on my build off bike. That it's a Brooks is just gravy.

Back