help me pick a name for the 50's higgins kustom (she's back)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since you had her once,
then traded her off,
and now got her back.
how bout
"Second Time Around"
just like an old girlfrind

ponytailmike
mike

p.s. hopefully she'll treat you better this time

Karf...On my higgins, the seat post is waaaayyy skinny. the post clamp seems to be part of the upright tube of the frame. Can I cut off the clamp and use a larger seat post? it seams like I would also be able to get the seat closer to the frame.

armandgil said:
How about Higgins? He was a tough guy too...see:

higgins.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHA

It's a board track style, but beefy like one of those old German halftrack motorcycles, maybe Halftrack or Kettenrad

sdkfz2_kettenrad.jpg

try this again i guess i got kicked off. coach j it sounds like you have an early frame with a small solid seat post. mine has a regular post but you could cut the welded top part of the frame off and re slot the frame to run a regular post. as for the name sensor hit it on the head as when we address this bike in the shop it is called "the higgins" so that is what it shall be. thanks to all and at least we now have a big list of names for other bikes.

coach j said:
Karf...On my higgins, the seat post is waaaayyy skinny. the post clamp seems to be part of the upright tube of the frame. Can I cut off the clamp and use a larger seat post? it seams like I would also be able to get the seat closer to the frame.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm not sure if there is room to cut anything of on that tube eh? If not, then maybe try this - or try this as an alternate to cutting your pretty frame :D

The seat post should be a piece of about 3/8th's inch SOLID pipe that makes an upside down "squished L" shape. You could maybe cut it (or find a new piece that fits if you don't want to cut the original, an old truck mirror stem is similar size/solid and already in an "L" shape). Or maybe cut stem, and weld a fatter seat tube to top part.

I have seen seat tubes that go from the small size & change to the big size in like ld 10 speeds, etc. you could maybe find one & flip it over. I think I have one I can give/trade ya. :idea:
stem01.jpg

there is plenty of room on higgins frames to cut just the top small part off. but modding the seatpost its self would save the frame from cutting. then again isnt cutting part of the fun of these bikes?

lol thanks for the names i am too she looks so much better with her old tires back on i love it. it is funny the amount of comments i have gotten once again with her returned to stock this bike literally stops people in their tracks it really does look pissed. and that is with her sitting next to the lucky 7 AND the ratty truck all in line.

hey ccr thanks for the bump on this. yea i finally did sensor made me realize that when we have always addressed this bike it was simply called "the higgins" so that is what i have decided to call her. i know not real exciting but now we all have a great list of names. it was either that or something presumtuous like "the first" or "the grandaddy" because this was one of the first boardtracker style bikes. can anyone remember who did the first one here i remember there was one with a gervin fork but i cant remember who built that one. i think "the higgins" however was the first one that made it "ok" to build such bikes.

Back