Help mounting front wheel on prewar fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i have a 34 rollfast I just gave a makeover too and I'm struggling trying to get the front wheel on. The fork is the kind where one end is open like a normal fork to insert the axel but the other side is closed off with only a hole for the axel to slide through. I've thrown every wrench I got and spit cuss words in 2 different languages anyone got any tips for these toc style forks and how to mount the dang front wheel?

Why can't you get the wheel back in? What's stopping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never dealt with a fork like this before. One side is a normal opening to slide the axel into but the other side is completely closed off with a hole. I got one side into the closed area but now can't bend the fork out far enough to slide in the other axel.

What's my best bet should I mount the open side first and then try to pull the fork out far enough to place through the closed off end or vice versa I've litterally never been this frustrated before lol I'm cussing in languages I don't even know

Just put it in there. Start the axle in the open slot and pry the fork apart until it slides in the hole. It should drop right in.

Glad you fixed it, whatever method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, what is with these old forks. I have a 30s Elgin forged fork on my Klunker that has holes in both sides. You have to muscle the fork apart and get the axle between the blades and then tap on the tire to slide it down and in. I thought about getting out the Dermal but once it is in it is so straight and there is no adjusting anything so I just deal with it. They did in the old days so I guess it is good enough. I don't look forward to taking it off though.

Yeah, what is with these old forks. I have a 30s Elgin forged fork on my Klunker that has holes in both sides. You have to muscle the fork apart and get the axle between the blades and then tap on the tire to slide it down and in. I thought about getting out the Dermal but once it is in it is so straight and there is no adjusting anything so I just deal with it. They did in the old days so I guess it is good enough. I don't look forward to taking it off though.
I don't like messing with American workmanship but I had to cut haha I was afraid I was gonna bend my axel. Truthfully I measured it out and cut it flush with the mounting hole so there was an almost straight insert to where the hole was and it sits in there perfectly no adjusting or nothing.

Back