Help on a 1948 SilverKing HexBar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys been off the forum for a bit, working on my cars and have been neglecting my 2 wheelers. In the past, the forum has been able to guide me on many things and the For sale section has yielded many treasures. So here goes. I am working on completing a 1948 SilverKing HexBAr. Some would say it's better suited for the CABE but as many are on both sites, and I have found people here a bit friendlier, so I'm gonna give it a shot., When I bought the bike from an antique store in Fl. site unseen, except for many pictures and the assurance from the store owner that it was a basement find and it was all original. Well when it arrived, from the first part I got out I knew it was not going to be OG. THe rims were s-7 not sure if they are repro or not. The handlebars were wrong as the stem. seat was a throw away. Long story short only the frame, seatpost, and forks were OG everything else is spares for other builds. I have managed to find most of the missing parts. Here's my ?'s for the forum:
1. The earlier round tube twin bar Silverkings, used to the best of my knowledge Aluminum fenders that came down the side pretty far. I like these and would like a set for my later bike. I have not been able to find set at a decent price. Did the later Silverkings have steel fenders that look to come down as far as the older one, can anyone confirm this?
2. Any pictures of the steel ones with measurement would be helpful.
3. Is there anyone on the site that straightens fenders so they can be chromed and look factory?
I started this as a full resto, but you guys have taught me to build it how I want, and I think the bigger fenders, if chromed or nickled would look close enough to polished aluminum to still give me the look and keep with the almost OG theme. Any and all opinions are welcome and or advise.

CeeBee said:
Good luck on this. I may not be able to help much, but I will definitely follow the replies you get as I just aquired a broken Wingbar (frame only). I know my budget will never allow me to put the bike back to original, but I am looking forward to he challenge of repairing the frame and building a one of a kind beauty! Hopefully you will get some answers here that will benefit us both!

The Wingbar is one of my absolute favorite bikes. Just oozes class.

I have a '48 Hex-Tube, but can't help you on the fender thing, other than to say that I heard that some of these later Silver Kings had Stainless Steel fenders, not aluminum.

My hex has stainless fenders let me know if you want me to measure them
2013-01-01_12-53-52_204_zps81996886.jpg

Great pics and info guys. I actualy have a set of the stainless fenders. I thought I would like the way they lock and unfortunately didn't, so I have decided to go a different route. I would love like I stated a set of alloy large fenders, but could not find a set. I just purchased a set of steel large fenders which I am hoping will have the same dimensions as the stock alloy fenders from the 30's. Hoping they will wheel out smooth so that can have them plated, still trying to find someone. Hope they are not too bad. I did get the correct stem, cranks, pedals, grips, handlebars. Things I am probably changing, just got in the rear reflector housing and reflector, need to replace the later, 2 min, hand polish and it;s turning out good but will machine polish to get it to be mirrorlike finish. I wasn't liking the stock headlight, the older horn/light units are not what I wanted so I bought a trainlight and am having it plated. Seat is for now a modern all leather springer seat with front hairpin, looks good on it, until I can find a decent trunk/tool seat. I am getting the clipper clock/speedo combo. Still researching rims as I am leaning towards the alloys but they don't have a vintage look. Also do not like the stock kickstand. In fact it is stuck and am going to have to drill it out. If I can get away with it I am thinking of a rear chrome center stand, I have one just need it plated and it has the built in stops. I know it will not be correct, but I am building it how I would have if I had ordered it.

I know an old timer here in OKC area that has one. not a complete or original bike frame/neck and fork are original
and its in very good shape. he would want 800 for it am pretty sure. and would not want to ship it. but if someone
here wants it.. I can look into getting it and shipping for you.

Back