Help w ID this bike I suspect prewar Elgin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u4atu3up.jpg

uqa6yne7.jpg

Looks like a Franken- bike. Made mostly of s schwinn parts. Got her in a trade. It has a mesinger seat. And thick spoke s7's. But that seat tube us too fckn kool! And so are those truss rods. Any help will be appreciated.. Also wanna buy a repop tank on eBay but I'm unsure if its the proper tank or if it will fit.

Looks like my 38', curved seat tube. My 45' has a straight seat tube

Kreep. Thats funny Thats the guy who I got it from didn't know he was on the forum. Yeah he told me he was taking off the wheels. What's the Stewart warner floating hub though?.

Frame: Murray built for Sears (Elgin), serial # on bottom bracket might tell us the year.
I'd guess 1940-1941.
The rest of the parts look to be from a Schwinn with the exception of the trussrods and wald guard.
The tank you've noted won't fit this bike: it's for a Westfield (Columbia) built bike, and the frames are different.

Its a '39-'41. The 38 frames had a straight seat tube. It is most likely a Murray built Elgin but I have seen a few Columbia built Elgins with the same frame style. Ive also owned the same frame style that were badged as Mercury and Western Flyer, both of those were Murray built.

Go to the( Show me your ) Forum and look up "Elgin Bikes"
you'll find some there !

~RafaeL~

Here's a all og '41

D8423F2D.jpg

Here it is custom to better show the tank.

209AD835_zpsea457178.jpg

It's a Murray as posted above. Not a Westfield as the tank you were looking at. The Murray tank is not rero'd and goes for $200 or so depending on condition. Cool feature some Elgin models had is the fender over fork setup like the custom above has. B

"Onewheelsqueel" Is shooting you some good advice. It is a 39-41 as well. Below is a pic of my as found, 39-41, longtank, fender over Elgin

je4yqy3e.jpg

Done a few changes
Gave it some faux patina
And some orange scallops
And will add these brown quick bricks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back