Help with Bendix S7 hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have experience with the disassembly and reassembly of the Bendix s7 kickback hub? its a red band hub On my 1964 Schwinn Tiger and the first I've ever seen or taken apart. I knew it would probably be intricate but wow! I meant to clean it but didn't even get a chance to as I was too focused on making sure I knew how it went back together. Is there something I need to be aware of or any tricks I should know of when cleaning and putting it back together? As I took it apart loose ball bearings fell out. They are just in there like that. I'm not even sure that the hub works correctly to begin with as I wasn't able to try it out prior. Any help or tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm worried I'll screw it up cleaning it or putting it back together. I took some pictures as I took it apart as best I could.

Red band kickback was the first one made, '60-'64. Lubricate the hub with white lithium grease. Don't use heavy grease. Don't grease the index spring. Just put a drop or two of oil on it. When reassembling, tighten the adjustable cone just enough that there is a little play side to side on the hub. When mounting the wheel to your bike, tighten the nuts first, then tighten the brake arm last. If you tighten it first, you can put the guts in a bind. These are great hubs but kind of finicky. There are 11 loose bearings. It will look like one is missing, but it's not. Don't put 12 in there! Gary

Back