hey Sturmey experts... did they ever make this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I found a pair of 24" MTB wheels for my latest project, figuring that I might just break down and shell out the cash for a new Sturmey-Archer 3-speed coaster hub to get this all together. Then I get the wheels home and count the spokes for the first time... d'oh. they're 28-spoke wheels. Besides the fact that I always thought I needed 36-spoke wheels to hold up under a 200-pound rider on a heavy beater bike, I noticed that all the new S/A hubs listed on their site are 36 holes. Dangit dangit dangit. Did S/A ever make a 28-spoke 3-speed coaster hub? From what I've read, I probably want an S3C or an AWC... do these exist? Or are they some kind of rare part for early Stingrays or something that only turns up twice a year on Fleabay and then sells for big $$$?

Or to pick the important question out from my lengthy rambling... Did S/A ever make a 28-spoke 3-speed coaster hub?

thanks in advance...

--rick

i think i just saw one on e bay today. i use alot of single speed coaster from bmx and other cheapo bikes, they are everywhere. good luck

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Yes they did,you can usualy find them on 20" bikes.I would sugest looking for some old fold-up bikes,pretty safe bet on finding one there.Good luck.
-Kreep-

I've got a 28H SA TCW laced into a 24" Schwinn s-5 wheel. After picking it up I read what Sheldon says about that particular model, that the brake was prone to failure if the cable was mal-adjusted. I might pick up a Shimano 3CC Coaster that I saw and lace that into the 24" Spaceliner wheels I just got instead. If that is the case I might be looking to unload that SA, if you're still looking.

Back