Hi from Northeast Tennessee

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hello there. Found this forum by way of looking for bike customization ideas and such.

Recently picked up a Schwinn Stingray Chopper with the 20" rear for $5 from my Wifes relative. Honestly, never seen those before, so even with all the tlc it needs, I forked over the money. Plans are to customize and bring it back to life. Should be a nice project. From what research I have done, it looks like it is a Wally World version and I think the handlebars are not original because of the single grip area on the center of the bar where it mounts. Missing chain guard too. Front fender kinda banged up. Chrome rusted and all. I have all kinds of ideas but not wanting to spend a fortune so plans are fluid.

My Wife is actually short enough that this bike fits her...lol. It will be hers when I am done with it and probably become our daughters when she is old enough.

9740826581_760d179c22_o.jpg

Thanks Deorman.

Now a question. I guess I am going to start with replacing the spokes. They are pretty rusticular. Never done that before but reading the How To section, I want to do it myself. Now... anyone know the size spokes for these bikes? 20" Rear and 24" Front.

Hub size and lace pattern also come in to play, but someone may know these wheels off-hand. If not, there are spoke calculators on the 'net. I'd just measure the existing spokes. :| Don't be surprised though, if they cost as much as the whole bike did when new. :x :roll:

If they cost that much... then I already scoped used wheels on fleabay on my watchlist. That reminds me to go check on the handlebars I want. :D

I guess if I am going to be asking questions and bouncing off ideas, I should really start a thread for my build. Headed over to start it after I get a few of the "before" shots up on the net.

Back