Hoarding vs. Collecting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this notion for a while that it is not cool for people to buy up everything they can find and either stuff it in a shed or pack rat it. Usually in the sense of flipping bikes for profit, but also in the "I'll get to this one someday" sense.

Then I had a moment where I realized, if no old men stuffed bikes into sheds, nobody would ever find sheds full of old bikes...

Let me also clarify that re-sellers are our saving grace a lot of times and hardly any are getting rich, so I'm not trying to cut anybody down here, I'd like to hear what others have to say about the ethics of flipping bikes and hoarding or any related subjects.

Let me also note that many times the effort to "save" lots and lots of stuff, often ends in it ALL in a dump.

Lets see those ridiculous photos of your PILES too!!! :lol:

A little wisdom from above. :wink:

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

This is something I've been worried about myself... my mom is a vicious hoarder, and I have always avoided collecting junk if I could, but I was afraid I might have caught it when I started bringing more and more bikes home. But the way that I justify it is that I have no bike that I do not ride, unless it is in the stages of being made ridable. And I am sure to rotate my bikes so that they all see as much action as possible. I just recently realized that I had a bike which wasn't really of any use to me anymore and now I am making plans to part it out to make other bikes usable to me. As long as they keep rolling, I think it's all good.

If I had more room I'm afraid I might be a hoarder. As it is now most every bike I have gets ridden.
I always joke to my wife that I'm acquiring suff for my own estate sale. It's gonna be awsome!
As for fipping or selling bikes I've never done that. I've given several away.

skoda said:

Then I had a moment where I realized, if no old men stuffed bikes into sheds, nobody would ever find sheds full of old bikes...

This only applies in Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, and sometimes Texas.

I think I just collect parts and eventually build a bike. Unless you want to spend $$$ you could never hoard in my area. But I am going to check on an old bike dealer in my hometown this summer cause I know he has to sheds full of old bikes.

I sell a certain kind of antique car & I can tell I deal with this all the time.I am both a flipper & a hoarder.First the "hoarder term" Where does it change from a big collection to hoarding? Am I supposed to cap my collection? Second "flipper",I sell old cars full time for a living.I never hide it.I always let the guy I am buying a car from know what I do.If he has a problem I will walk right away.I sometimes take crap for it,but those same guys will come back to buy parts.I have ethics in what I do.I have offered a guy a lot more than he was asking for a car because I did not feel right buying it from at the price he wanted.The guy went online & did his research & found out what it would bring.Needless to say I should have ripped the guy off.I was trying to be nice.This is a real touchy subject to me.I will never sell a bike & the reason I am on Ratrodbikes is for a break from the sharks I deal with everyday.Nothing but good guys here.

I just find bikes that are worth fixing, and give them away to someone. I have my cruiser and my trike that has had about 12 facelifts since I've had it, but I'll make something cool then get rid of it. I don't know why I do that but I do. I have an old Ross that i think I'm gonna keep for rainy days since it has fenders but other then that, I just can't keep stuff.

As far as the terminology goes, I just want to clarify, I'm using it lightly. There is flipping, a degree of hoarding and collecting in every hobby like ours. Not a bad thing 99% of the time. I thought this would be an interesting subject to discuss and is proving to be, thanks for the responeses so far!

[quote="oldgreenbean"First the "hoarder term" Where does it change from a big collection to hoarding? .[/quote]

I think it's when you pack away stuff you don't even personally want and greedily keep it to yourself (or only try to sell it for ridicuous prices)

Hey skoda I know what you mean.I am only buy stuff I am into.I will not turn the bikes into a business.I would never sell one,but do give em away sometimes.I have become the local bicycle repair shop for all the kids around.I make them fix em themselves.I have bought 4 bikes off craigslist this week.This site has drove me bike crazy.

I love flipping bikes...it's the only way I can fund this hobby.

There's no way I'd be spending household budget money on this stuff.

Nothing like buying a bike for $20 at a resale or garage sale and then selling it for $120 the same day on the CL.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i only take bikes that have parts on them that i want, then i throw the rest away in the dumpster at work. once a year i go through my garage and get rid of anything i havent used or looks like im not gonna use, but of course later down the road theres a thing or two i regret throwing out. i keep parts that i think i can make "new" bikes out of, then i use those to trade or give away. i built 2 gravity bikes to sell and have only sold one, built 3 luges to sell but have only made a trade for one (trading it for old bikes!!) and a possible sale this summer, and only as of the past year have i built anthing rideable that i plan to sell - very reasonabley of course! at this point id just like to re-coop what i spend on chain tools, grease, tools, primer/paint, y'know, the "stuff" i "need." i make very careful not to let the bikes take up too much room and not to have a pile of junk laying round. when i take a bike apart the parts i want immediately get organized and the rest goes to the dumpster in the next day or so. if any of y'all are hoarding, you migt be sittin on that one lil part that someone needs to finish their current project!
fast eddie outty

Rat Rod said:

Nothing like buying a bike for $20 at a resale or garage sale and then selling it for $120 the same day on the CL.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Exactly, I flip bikes and put all the money back into bikes I want. I usually buy bikes that need a lot of work for next to nothing, bring them back and then sell them, so in a way im saving bikes from getting scrapped as well. I ask fair prices when I sell and I don't try to rip people off or anything.

My name is Jason and I'm a pac-rat! Got it from grandpa but I don't save junk, the stuff I have is all usable. A friend of mine is renting out a bay in his garage to me, (a case of beer a month) where my '63 Corvair is, last nite I said "we gotta build a bike for you" but he said he has no money. I had to skool him on the no-fund rat rod :mrgreen: I take any bike offered because the parts are what keep me building. But I do dispise the guy with vintage iron that won't sell it even though it's sat there for Lord-knows-how-long.

So...treading carefully...this is a discussion forum right...

What if you snatch up a bike that somebody else could have gotten into old bikes with? You flip it to somebody already well into bikes and buy a part, go on your way, they miss out on a lot of fun?

It's a pretty lame argument I realize, somebody could also come along right after you and shark it on ebay...I have no point obviously, I suppose it's a judgment call.

A little wisdom from above.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Amen Brother Amen

Rat Rod said:

Or buying it for $10 and flipping it 3 days later for $170

Hoarding is when someone wont get ride of whatever they own. I have some sort of hoarding but I tend to get ride of it later.
Here is a thread I started about 2 years ago on schwinnbikes.com

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/heritage/showthread.php?p=235369#post235369

Quite honestly, I think flipping bikes is also providing a service. You take a bike of little value and then turn it around into something of value to someone. Most of the time that person doesn't have the knowledge, time, or skills to do it themselves. They are now able to get a unique bike with character that works well - higher quality than department store, less money than LBS. And less stuff in the dump. The market sets the prices and helps create value for the flipper to keep doing it.

Back