Hollow hub lacing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm thinking of buying the 3G 26" rims for a trike conversion I am doing. I have the wheels from the trike kit and it has hollow hubs. Do most bikes shops lace any hubs up to the wheels? Im sure it will depend on the bike shop...just looking for some input if anyone knows how hard it is. I know I can't do it..so before I buy the rims I'd like to get some info

Sure they can. Don't be afraid to try it yourself, it's tricky but not as hard as it seems.

udallcustombikes said:
I say you should give it a shot at least! There are several threads on here explaining how to and lots of good videos on YouTube.
Ive never done it before..so im really unsure how it will work as far as the spokes being too short or too long..how to make them fit if they are the wrong size. Id love nothing more to learn how to do it..i dont seem to ever be able to get a wheel straight when it goes put of balance.

Id like to get those 3G wheels and tranfer the hollow hubs i have from the tike to those wheels from 3G. I got some nice red line hanks from a guy on here so they will look awesome on those rims

so no more opinions on this?? I actually went to the local bike shop today..and it was a 3g dealer to ask about getting the rims there and having them do the hub conversion,,lace it up and all that good bike stuff. And NOT to my surprise the person there acted as if i were asking for the pin number of their bank account. Basically it was a OH NO WAY CAN WE DO THAT. You have to know how may left spokes you need and right spokes..and custom cutting and all that. Nope.cant be done here. Just another incident to prove the ridiculos LACK Bike support in this town.

How can a city that has some of the best bike riding weather have the worst bike sceen??? :(

What shop was that??! Before I started lacing up my own, I took a set to Ehrhardt's on Mill & University. They charge about a buck a spoke, and I think labor was $100 to lace and true. Not cheap, but every other shop I talked to wanted almost double that. That's why I learned how to do it myself ;)

GTV said:
What shop was that??! Before I started lacing up my own, I took a set to Ehrhardt's on Mill & University. They charge about a buck a spoke, and I think labor was $100 to lace and true. Not cheap, but every other shop I talked to wanted almost double that. That's why I learned how to do it myself ;)
That was the shop i took it to. Figured they were a 3G dealer and wanted to give them some business buying rims from them and then having them do the conversion...guy there acted like i was crazy. Guess he must know me..ha ha :D

Interesting. My buddy used to work there, I know he would build wheels (he built mine). Maybe when he left so did the wheel building skills. I haven't been back since he left, I don't get a deal there anymore!

If you've got your hoops and you've got your hubs, do a google search for a spoke length calculator. Order some spokes, another search for how to lace wheels, and you're on your way. That's all I did, believe me I'm nothing special ;)

GTV said:
Interesting. My buddy used to work there, I know he would build wheels (he built mine). Maybe when he left so did the wheel building skills. I haven't been back since he left, I don't get a deal there anymore!

If you've got your hoops and you've got your hubs, do a google search for a spoke length calculator. Order some spokes, another search for how to lace wheels, and you're on your way. That's all I did, believe me I'm nothing special ;)

Thanks for all the help. I just decided to use the 24" rims that came with the trike rear end. I ordered some 24x3" white walls today..so i will just paint the rims red and be done with it. Its too much hassle to try to get this done. Like i said..i cant believe it is this hard to get any thing done as far as bikes go in this town. Kinda sad. We should be the Bike mecca of he world here. And i see in the EVENT section all the cool rides and shows in cold weather states :(

naturephotoboy3 said:
GTV said:

Thanks for all the help. I just decided to use the 24" rims that came with the trike rear end. I ordered some 24x3" white walls today..so i will just paint the rims red and be done with it. Its too much hassle to try to get this done. Like i said..i cant believe it is this hard to get any thing done as far as bikes go in this town. Kinda sad. We should be the Bike mecca of he world here. And i see in the EVENT section all the cool rides and shows in cold weather states :(
Man I am sorry. I picked up lacing wheels by 13 years old, not difficult.
As far as the spoke length goes it is determined by what you need to fit tha hub and rim, lace pattern.
I tried over the years working at different shops to teach it to others, 9 out of 10 had no interest thus never learned it.
Kid I taught ended up buying the shop we worked at as kids, years later of course. I went in one day to have a fork threaded farther down, he said, "oh no we don't do that, I can't afford to replace every old fork that will not thread because the steel is old."
I said to him, "if i can adjust your die and get it working can I thread my own?"
You know that little .......(I know him he is) told me no way!
I went to anotrher town and they did the deed for $5.00 and a coffee.
Maybe google search local road bike clubs, get directions from them where to go?

mikeeebikey said:
naturephotoboy3 said:
GTV said:

Man I am sorry. I picked up lacing wheels by 13 years old, not difficult.
As far as the spoke length goes it is determined by what you need to fit tha hub and rim, lace pattern.
I tried over the years working at different shops to teach it to others, 9 out of 10 had no interest thus never learned it.
Kid I taught ended up buying the shop we worked at as kids, years later of course. I went in one day to have a fork threaded farther down, he said, "oh no we don't do that, I can't afford to replace every old fork that will not thread because the steel is old."
I said to him, "if i can adjust your die and get it working can I thread my own?"

Im sure this is something i could do. I just dont have the time to do it right now myself. I wanted to get this trike done before the end of the month. This year I vow I will teach myself to straighten wheels and do spokes.
You know that little *****(I know him he is) told me no way!
I went to anotrher town and they did the deed for $5.00 and a coffee.
Maybe google search local road bike clubs, get directions from them where to go?

It's possible if the hubs are 36H 'spoke holes' and the rims are 36H
Just need correct spoke length..

Bring hub and rim to bike shop and surely they would make them.
Or could save a buck an just have the spokes off them

Back