Homemade biddon rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 3 vintage road bikes and none of them have braze ons for a bottle rack. I am making two bolt on bottle racks. The finished one is a single bottle rack and I am not sure what it will go on. Raleigh doesn't have a kerf cut into the fork steerer so it won't work on either of my old Raleigh's. The double will probably go on my 1950s road bike, but it might not have a kerf either. I can't recall. I will make the double a bolt on affair. Not sure how to do this yet. Both cages are made out of thrift store gee gaws that were candle holders or some other thing. I bought anything with round loops and wire cages that roughly fit the bottle. The gee gaws were modified and the loops made smaller. The most expensive were the last ones for the double holder and they were $.59. I still have to file my crummy welds to make them look better and then paint it silver. The loops look too big but they are resting in concave areas on the bottle. It is a very tight fit and the curved part at the top holds it very securely.

Work in progress. I'm thinking of welding a steel strap across the bottom to tie the 6 pieces of wire together. I will have to fab and add another hoop to each side and then come up with mounting clamps for the gooseneck and handlebars. The base where the 3 pieces of wire are close but not attached originally had a metal candle holder welded to them. I drilled them off.

Last edited:
Back