Hot Rod Hercules

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I paid $20 for this AMF Hercules and a ladies Columbia Tourist:
[img]http://i1086.photobucket.com/a... parts and try to keep it simple.. :mrgreen:

Re: Hercu-lectrick

Excellent frame to use. Looking forward to seeing where you take this build. Best of luck. :mrgreen:

Re: Big Wheel Hercules

I totally gave up on trying to make this bike electric. there's just not enough metal on the forks to hold a hub motor. While looking for tires in the dark part of my basement, this 27 1/4" Araya was found. :idea: my idea is to convert the 26 3/8" rims to 27" and upgrade the brakes.
0a8a3371.jpg

a little more looking on the oddball rim wall and I found this high flange hub with a decent steel rim:
d148da21.jpg

I also found this one on a parts bike:
0ac9ef03.jpg

the parts bike has some Dia-Comp center pull brakes that I can use and a pretty cool aluminum rack that may work with this build. so now I need a matching rear rim to lace to the Sturmey 3 speed...or maybe it will be my first fixie...hmmm. I'm still undecided on the fenders but I'll most likely make them fit around the bigger wheels.

Re: Big Wheel Hercules

First mock-up is done. I used a 27X1" tire on the front and it looks like I'll be using the original 26X1 3/8" rear wheel with a blackwall tire. Anyone know where to get a fatter tire for this rim? it's a 550 diameter wheel. the center pull Dia-Comp brakes from the parts bike are gonna work but the rack is a little bent from a mechanic taking his frustrations out on it and the frame. I just need a couple tubes so I can take it for a test ride.
1e43a92d.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Hercules or the Hercu-Ripper

I'm liking the bike so far...what kind of seat stem is that...? Way cool... Keep going with it :)

It's home-made from a donor mountain bike. I notched it with a cut-off wheel, then bent it and gave it a test fit to match the top tube line and welded it up. Thanks for positive words, this is a very, very low budget build at this point so it's been tough to keep it moving amongst all of the other projects I'm doing right now.

yea deorman- i double checked and you're right. it's a 43-590 that i have now. I'm getting tubes tomorrow so I'll be able to check inflated tire width, clearances etc. and go for a test ride. thanks for the link tho, I'll be using it for a couple other projects for sure. :D

I guess I had too many wobbly pops last night because tonight when I finally got to put the tubes in I noticed the rear tire size is 37-590. :oops: The test ride was a little scary with only 3rd gear and no brakes and it was comfortable but harsh with 70psi in the rear and 90psi in the front. I only went around my block but now I'm getting pretty psyched to get it to where I can really open it up and see how it rolls at top speed. I'm gonna get the parts bike stripped tonight and hopefully get one of the brakes hooked up so I can take it out again. Here's a pic of the free parts bike that someone really disliked and used a big hammer to show it. :lol:
6a71fab0.jpg

I almost had the shifter done before my son got his rat bike rolling last night. We rode about 2 mile to the wawa at 2:30 am for an Icee.
3ddedf3d.jpg
816541bd.jpg

On the home stretch on a slight downhill I really got her moving but when I hit the front brake the left pad shot out of the shoe and into a neighbors yard. :shock: we found the pad but the shoe is toast. I'm glad I hooked up the rear brake too because fred flintstone brakes don't work very well in sandels. Then, this morning while enjoying the quiet morning and iced coffee, the front tire spontaneously blew out the sidewall. :cry: I did get the shifter hooked up but no ride 'till I get another tire and tube. :(
4f4034d6.jpg

ac67ac4b.jpg

I had to order a 27X1" tire and tube 'cause none of the local bike shops had them in stock. The 27X1 1/4" tire I found in the used tire pile wedged against the fender when inflated so the fenders had to come off for awhile. I rode the bike about 10 miles total yesterday with zero issues. I'm kinda liking the fenderless look. :D
21c8dbc2.jpg

c7c64b81.jpg

6f27f42f.jpg

023f65ef.jpg

ee0231d9.jpg

Back