How do I remove/restore Skiptooth chain?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone.

Im sure someone has probably posted this somewhere. but How do you remove a skiptooth chain
the regular chain removal tool doesnt work.the links dont fit in there.
im working on a 1930s zep style frame, bike

thanks

find the master link, it should look a little different/bigger than the standard links

The masterlink is usually made of 2 outer links, one has just a side plate, the other has two link pins attached, or it might have a circlip depending on the chain brand

with the plain side plate facing you, grab the chain to each side and flex away from yourself and wiggle/twist a bit (the chain).

sometimes a small flat head screwdriver come in handy for prying off the side link

once the side link is off, the rest is easy.

Hello , I put a sweetheart crank on my bike now my chain is a few links short is any one willing to sell some ?

I know a guy who plays with go-karts. I borrowed his chain breaker. bigger and stronger than bicycle chains.

thank you i removed the chain with a hammer and a long thin screw driver, on the master link
and is now soaking in WD40

Mine was probably the grossest chain ever.. I soaked it in Carb Cleaner for about an our to get all the old dried grease off of it and then soaked it in Oxalic Acid.. Then when all the rust was gone I rubbed it down with some 0000 Steel wheel and it shined up like new. :D

i hear soaking them iv vinegar works great. maybe some method about it im not sure. check u-tube :)
Do not use vinegar!!! I bought 2 skip tooth chains that were rusty.....soaked them for 24 hrs....checked on them and they had literally fallen apart.....so pissed! I spent more on the chains than I paid for the 2 bikes!

Back