How do I tell if a bike is chrome or hi-ten steel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am new to the site and am blown away by all the talent here. I have a newby question. I have a bike that I always thought was a murray based on the chain wheel and the fork that came on the bike. It also came with a rear rack, and fenders. I am not sure if any of it is original to the bike or not, and my serial numbers don't seem to match anything I have come across M166561? Anyway, I was stripping the paint off the frame and fork and think they could be chrome. I came across another user that thought his frame might have been chrome, but someone pointed out that his was not due to the copper coloring in the welds of the bike. I have a frame that shines up pretty nice that does indeed have the copper in the welds, but the bike in question does not. I have almost completely stripped it down including in the grooves and I really don't even see any welds. It almost looks like the tubing just butts up to each other and maybe a weld on the inside of them? Also on my fork, I can see two welds under the two plates that I have taken off (it is a three tear style) which I have seen on murrays before. However it does not have any copper in them. I know what chrome looks like, and think the whole thing maybe chrome based on the way it cleans up and the way the pitting looks. Did Murray make an all chrome frame and fork, or am I way off on the type of bike I have (typical cruiser style men’s bike with the upper curve and the two curves that cross on either side of that upper curve. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:)

Having to guess...Is it a Murray/Sears Starliner?

Its chrome plated steel and I want it!

Back