how install jerald 24" slick tire?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel retard but to make sure. Will jerald 24" slick fit 24" bicycle rim? I tried pry the heck out of it to put it on but it has about three inches to go. It doesn't look right. :?

My rim is 24x1 3/8 28 spokes. Wrong size? Or it need lot heck pry harder with water soaps? Lol

Wrong size rim. There are several different 24" rims. Your tire is a 24x2.125 (or any decimal number) then the bead diameter across the tire is 507mm. You need a standard 24" mountain bike or cruiser rim. Your wheel is 24x1 3/8" which means it's bead diameter is 540 or 541mm. Then you have Schwinn 24" rims which are a whole different animal all together. The same goes for 26" rims and tires. Sheldon Brown has a good explanation on tire sizes on his site.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Yeah, that's a lightweight hoop. You need at least a middleweight or balloon tire rim--so 24x1.75 (but not 1 3/4) or 24x2.125.

udallcustombikes said:
Wrong size rim. There are several different 24" rims. Your tire is a 24x2.125 (or any decimal number) then the bead diameter across the tire is 507mm. You need a standard 24" mountain bike or cruiser rim. Your wheel is 24x1 3/8" which means it's bead diameter is 540 or 541mm. Then you have Schwinn 24" rims which are a whole different animal all together. The same goes for 26" rims and tires. Sheldon Brown has a good explanation on tire sizes on his site.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

To make sure I understand. Jerald 24" slick tire only work on 507mm wheels?

Other question, 24"x1.75" or 2.125" with 507mm bead will fit frame that is original has 24x1 3/8 547mm bead? Wondering which way I would be better off with original tires and save slick tire for other bike or it can be fit ?

Without seeing some pics I can't give a definitive answer, but the frame will probably be too narrow to handle the tire. There are options though. You can carefully widen the rear frame to allow the tire to clear (if it is a steel frame, don't try aluminum) or you can modify the frame to move the drop outs further back.

udallcustombikes said:
Without seeing some pics I can't give a definitive answer, but the frame will probably be too narrow to handle the tire. There are options though. You can carefully widen the rear frame to allow the tire to clear (if it is a steel frame, don't try aluminum) or you can modify the frame to move the drop outs further back.

I think your most likely correct. I measure everything and look like it will fit but very tight until I realized slick tire is much taller. That's where I think modifies wit be required.

Sorry for so many questions. I would like to have 28 spokes. Is there 24x1.75 507mm bead and 28h rim that will interchangeably with my spokes and 5speed hub? Even tho I'm not sure if my five speed will work with my tire's width. My plan is put it together to see what job need to be done. I guessing 36 spokes with internal speed hub is my best bet.

The three Spyders I've had were all wider rear rims. The fronts are 1 3/8" and the rear on all three I've had has been for a 1.75. Though, there is a different frame style the Spyders used which I have not owned.. that may be the difference-maker.

Anyway, my dad really wanted a slick for his Spyder so I got a sulky.. it would fit fine if he didn't insist on having fenders as well..

Here's a picture of it in the back:
BUW7Y.jpg

Jpromo said:
The three Spyders I've had were all wider rear rims. The fronts are 1 3/8" and the rear on all three I've had has been for a 1.75. Though, there is a different frame style the Spyders used which I have not owned.. that may be the difference-maker.

Anyway, my dad really wanted a slick for his Spyder so I got a sulky.. it would fit fine if he didn't insist on having fenders as well..

BUW7Y.jpg

Finally a proof!!! I'm so happy to see it. So only modifies is change rear rim to 1.75? Where can I can find rim?

Jpromo said:
The three Spyders I've had were all wider rear rims. The fronts are 1 3/8" and the rear on all three I've had has been for a 1.75. Though, there is a different frame stytheSpyders used which I have not owned.. that may be the difference-maker.

BUW7Y.jpg

Nice bikes! I had a thought to paint my spyder yellow. It's Lopoking good!

Back