How old are you!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
46, built my first Schwinn when I was 8, by the next summer when I was 9, my friend Chris and I had built 20 working bicycles out of the parts piles from his yard and mine( he was 2nd to youngest of 9 boys) and I was the youngest of 6......and I'm still 9 in my mind and still building. My wife is a freakin' SAINT!

Bump...

I am 31 going on 120... Chronic illness and other issues from being hit by a car at age 12.

Been married 5 years to the girl of my dreams and as far as I am concerned, that makes up for everything else, plus a whole lot more...

Where would some of us be without the love and support of our significant others???

I'll be 62 on Dec. 24 ....still enough time to get those old bike parts in the mail...I'd. Like

58, married for 32-years to the love of my life and we have three children and three grandchildren. I make a living in the field of Research Thermodynamics – it has zero wealth potential, but it paid the bills to send our three children to university while at the same time allowing us as a family to live comfortably.

Earliest cycling memory was receiving a green tricycle as a little kid – all that changed however when on my 13th birthday I received a Schwinn Stingray – literally rode the rear tires off of that bike doing 360 skids! It was a life changing birthday gift, rode it around Manhattan’s East Village, Greenwich Village, Midtown, Central Park, Battery Park and across the Williamsburg Bridge to Brooklyn. Good times with friends on their muscle bikes, a muscle bike posse if you will!

Rat Rod said:
Now you can see why there's a mellow atmosphere on the site...with age comes wisdom. :wink:
It is good, knowing that we have all become wise guys with age! :wink:

45...three kids, youngest is a senior in HS. Totally into bicycles. Doesn't matter what kind. I mountain bike, I tour, I race time trails, I commute occassionally, I ride almost every day. I've ridden all over...Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Alabama, Florida, NC, SC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, California and Hawaii. Hoping to do a cycling vacation in Europe soon.

Same with vintage bikes. I am into it all. Collecting originals, restoring bikes, building rats...does matter.

we are kind of an old bunch here eh?

I'm 48. I'm a Senior Product Designer (recent promotion) at a small manufacturing company in New Britsky.

In similar vain to Jose, the bike that started it all for me, that is to say, the one that showed me that a bike equals adult-like freedom, was my 75/76 Huffy Stars & Stripes muscle bike. My best friend/neighbor and I would ride from Waterford to New London and be gone all day, sometimes getting back after dark. We got to ride them on the race track at Waterford Speedbowl once for a charity ride - that was killer.

In my twenties and thirties I toured all over New England multiple times, and the Adirondacks. When I was 40 I took my bike to France with some buds and followed the TDF for two weeks, riding some of the classic climbs, like Alpe d'Huez (twice), Plateau l'Bai and LaMongie in 2004. I raced bikes and did triathlons from 1985 to 1993. Since then I've just been doing running races, and club bicycle time trials. This year I got back into duathlons.

36. Feel like 86 at times due to chronic back pain.

Grew up in Batavia riding bmx bikes and freestyle bikes. Still remember the Dyno freestyle team coming to Funway, that was so cool. We used to do frame stands down hill and around a turn, a good quarter mile or more. And see who could roll the furthest. Lol. Not so sure Id try that now.

I'll turn 50 next spring and will celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary the day after my B-Day. Other than possibly being a saint, I have no explanation why my bride sticks around! It sure ain't my looks or the money! Must be the two wonderful kiddos we have! Anyway, my earliest bike memory is getting a red StingRay for Christmas when I was in the 1st grade. My dad had just returned from his second of 3 tours to VietNam. Man, what a great Christmas that was!

My bike building days never really ended once they started in earnest in junior high. It was the thing to do to rat out your beach cruiser as much as possible before heading to the boardwalk to harrass the tourists (something I'm embarrassed about doing now). I built a klunker out of my Schwinn cruiser and bulked it up with some awesome Cook Bros. handlebars and Worksman clinchers back in 1980, way before I knew what a klunker was, and it's still one of my daily riders. Nothing has really changed other than the pain lasts longer when I wipe out! Been nursing a separated shoulder and just got a cast off my leg after 8 weeks and last weekend, while taking a Fire Arrow out on her maiden voyage, the master link snapped or came apart while I was cranking as hard as I could and I ended up wearing the cross bar like a thong for a half a block with no brakes! Great fun ... for the neighbors putting up their outdoor Christmas lights!

Peace,
Pudge

Well I'm 62 like several others here. Got a 45 year old wife (3RD). Retired at 56. I build a few bikes , but
mostly spend my days looking for my glasses and trying to remember if I took my pills. :roll: :shock: :roll:

I'm 52. Been riding off and on since I was a kid. Mostly a mountain bike the past 15 years but finally getting into cruisers this year. I go vintage camping with my teardrop trailer and people are always riding cool cruisers around the campground. Now I'll get to as well.

Uncle Stretch said:
Well I'm 62 like several others here. Got a 45 year old wife (3RD). Retired at 56. I build a few bikes , but
mostly spend my days looking for my glasses and trying to remember if I took my pills. :roll: :shock: :roll:
Hey Mr. Stretch, I watched some of your video"s the other night, your still rockin it! :lol: Great videos and nice bikes! :D

bike2112 said:
42, male, Taurus, good books, long walks on the beach....ooopse, wrong site.
42, married and 3 kids.

Now thats funny! :lol:

I be 42 and just found the LOVE for cruisers last year. So many great bikes,
so little time and money to get all I dream of at once. Fyi, I'm on my third build
and fourth bike. Cruising tames the savage beast.

Back