How To Build a Show Bike Display at low Cost! (Please Read!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would like to show the members of Bmxmuseum how to build a show bike display at low cost...

Please note, I used my display for bmx bikes but this can be done with Cruisers and Rat bikes also!

Here we go!

1st. Go to your local building supply store and pick up a sheet of Tempered hardboard (Masonite). The best size to use for a 20" bike is a 2x4x1/8 sheet. Home depot already has them cut to that size. For a 24" + bike a bigger sheet will be needed. For this "How To" I will be using the 2x4x1/8 sheet.

P8271006.jpg

Masonite is somewhat flexible and will not warp easily.

P8271007.jpg

2. There are two routes you can take in building this display. One is covering the board with Contact paper. I picked up a roll of checker board paper at my local pawn shop for $1.

P8271008.jpg

Cover the board with the contact paper. Depending on the size of paper you may need to over lap the sheets to cover the board.

P8271009.jpg

Smooth bubbles for a sleek finish

P8271010.jpg

Match up pattern to blend both sheets.

P8271015.jpg

3. The second route you could take would be to make a collage on your board. I cut out pictures that I printed from the internet of vintage Hutch magazine covers/ articles/ and ads. You could also use build progress pictures to achieve the same look.

4. To glue the sheets to the board we will be using Mod Podge. You can pick this up at your local craft store. Paste pictures to board then let dry. After all pictures are glued and dried, cover the board with layers of the Mod Podge. Read directions on bottle to get the best finish you would like. By doing this, it will seal your pictures onto the board and leave a durable finish.

P8271000.jpg

P8271013.jpg

P8271014.jpg

5. Now, onto the description plaques. I picked up some clear stand up sign holders from my local office supply. These will allow you to slide the backs under your display. By doing this it will make them sturdy.

P8271003.jpg

P8271004.jpg

P8271005.jpg

P8271016.jpg

6. Use a portable bicycle stand to mount the bike on top of the display. I bought mine from Niagra Cycle Works. The stand Is very cheap on does its job well.

P8271022.jpg

7. Now put all your creation into one!

P8271020.jpg

P8271021.jpg

P8270022.jpg

P8270023.jpg

I have found that a checkered pattern works best with Chrome frames and the collage with painted frames.

I hope this might help you in some way. Between the two displays I have about $25 in each. This Is the best looking and durable display I have ever owned and plan to take them to many shows in the future!

Thanks,
Tyler

Great tips! Thank you. When my Flying Evelyn is finished she has to live in my living room. Now I know how she can always look good. You solved the no-kickstand problem, too.

Elmer said:
Great tips! Thank you. When my Flying Evelyn is finished she has to live in my living room. Now I know how she can always look good. You solved the no-kickstand problem, too.
Glad to hear!!!!!

Back