HOW TO BUILD A SUPER CHEAP BIKE WORK STAND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took an idea from one of the links that Hugo passed along a while back and I built a super cheap bike work stand.

I spent about $19 at Home Depot - for four 8' 2x4's and some bolts, washers, and wing nuts.

Turned out that I didn't even use the bolts and only used three of the 2x4's so the total cost ended up being a little over $7 (not counting the nails which I already had).

Step one was to cut the 2x4's. I cut two of them into 3', 3', and 2' sections, so I ended up with two 2' sections and four 3' sections. I cut the 3rd one into a 4' section, four 7" sections, and whatever was left.

Here's the cutting result .. and yes, the camera does give you an optical illusion since the top two boards are in sections of 3', 3', and 2' - even though it appears more like 2', 3', and 2'.

IMG_1515.jpg

I layed the cut pieces together to do a mock up of the bottom part of the stand. The four 3' sections will go on the bottom - along with two of the 7" pieces and also the extra piece I had left over. Here's a couple of shots of how that section will look ...

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

Next I pieced the center of the bottom section together and nailed it. I temporarily slipped the up post in between the 7" pieces while I nailed them to make sure I could slide that back in later once the nailing was done. This shot shows the section with the up post removed and it nailed together.

IMG_1519.jpg

Once I had that part nailed together I then added the two 3' pieces to each end - which will support the stand from side to side. That completed the bottom section.

IMG_1521.jpg

Next I nailed the top section together. I decided to have the 2' pieces on the top slant upward a little instead of being exactly level. That would keep the bike from accidentally sliding off - and also allow the top section to "settle" some over time and still be level or slanted upward a little.

Here's how the top section looked ..

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Here's a shot of the finished product ....

IMG_1524.jpg

I originally planned to drill holes through the bottom section and the up post and put a couple of bolts with wing nuts through them to hold the two sections together, but once I nailed the bottom section together using the 7" braces on each side of the up post, I found just sliding the top section into the bottom section was good enough and no bolts were necessary. So you can slip the up post into the bottom section to assemble it - and then just pull it back apart to store the two sections separately out of the way.

IMG_1525.jpg

I could brace it even more by cutting some additional pieces of 2x4 and nailing them to the 7" boards that are sticking up on each side of the up post. That would put a 7" box around the up post - but that may be over kill, so I will use it as is for a while and see how it goes.

Here's a couple of shots of the stand with my new bike on it. You can hang it by the seat post, or by putting the frame posts itself in the stand. If it's a mens bike you could even slide the top arms under the top frame post - but it might not be as steady that way.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

If you though that scratching your frame while using the stand might be a problem you could always wrap the upper arms with cloth - maybe a towel even, and you could also hook a piece of foam on the up post in back of the bike in case you didn't want the bike frame to bump that if it rocked backwards while you were working on it.

You can also slide the bike all the way back on the upper arms - and use a bungee cord to hold the frame to the up post if you needed to do some heavy duty wrenching and didn't want the bike to move.

So there it is. Just a little over $7 to build and it comes apart so you can store the two sections out of the way. I think it took me maybe an hour total to build it.

I put it to use and cleaned up the surface rust on the bike wheels, handlebars, crank, etc.

*********** UPDATE *****************

I made a couple of changes to the work stand and thought of one more I could make later if needed.

I had a piece of 1x3 laying around, so I cut a couple of pieces of that and boxed in the bottom section where the top section slides in - to give it a little more side to side support.

IMG_1530.jpg

I also used my brother's idea and found an old pair of athletic socks and slid those over the upper arms - to keep from accidentally scratching the frames when using the stand. 2 socks over each arm might be even better but I only found one pair in my drawer.

IMG_1531.jpg

I didn't do this one, but thought I would mock it up for future reference.

If you are getting much side to side sway when working on the bike, you could (1) nail a piece of board across the back of the upper section, (2) drill holes in each end of that board, (3) drill holes in the ends of the bottom rear leg, and (4) run braces from the top section down to the bottom leg.

Cross bracing the top section should totally stop any side to side motion.

And by drilling holes and using bolts to bolt the brace onto the stand rather than nailing it you could then remove it later to break the whole thing back down for storage.

Of course that might double your build cost and run it up to $14 because of the extra wood and bolts, nuts, washers, etc.!! :lol:

IMG_1532.jpg

Thanks, guys. It was an easy, cheap, build and it's worked great so far.

My brother took a look at it and he came up with the idea of taking an old pair of tube socks or athletic socks and sliding them over the arms - to protect the bike if that's needed.

I guess a couple of pair would work even better - and still leave room between the arms to get the bike frame or seat post in.

After I took these pictures I swapped seats on my bike and that was sure a lot easier with the stand. The bolts under the seat were almost at eye level - so no leaning over to get to them.

Ratroddad, YOU ROCK! I got woodshop this year, Teacher would let me make it too, were good buddys from last year.. Im gonna show him the plans.

Rickster, you and the shop teacher may even come up with some nice mods to my design.

Maybe build a box in one corner of the base and store your bike tools there, as an example.

Wood and nails (or sheetrock screws) are cheap!!

Mr.Banka loved the design, I will try that toolbox idea, i like that its cool. I need 2 get some wood out of the attic of our garage. Were going to go over the plans together and gather supplies, I have a study hall first hour, The teacher lets me go down there so i got woodshop twice in one day (sweetness) So i get double work time. Im going to stain mine so it will be weatherproof. Thanks alot Ratrod Sr. :D

Thanks, great idea. I'll try it later, now I don't have to waste tons of money on a stand or scratch my bikes on the ground

Here's another idea. I bought this one on CL for $15. So far it has worked out.

110_4539.JPG

110_4543.JPG

110_4541.JPG

110_4542.JPG

I counterbalanced it on the back end of the pipe where the clamp is with some old workout weights to prevent it from falling forward just in case.

110_4545.JPG

110_4544.JPG

My wife's nephew working on his bike.

110_4804.JPG

I built one of these on Friday night out of lumber I had laying around. Works Great! Thanks for the great Idea.

I always build on the ground, It's going to be ridden on the ground. So why build it off the ground? Also building on the ground lets me set ride height, stance, and overall look of the bike a lot easier. Sometimes I'll build on top of a work bench just to get up off the ground but still have a flat surface for the whole bike.

Re:

RatRodDad said:
Thanks, guys. It was an easy, cheap, build and it's worked great so far.

My brother took a look at it and he came up with the idea of taking an old pair of tube socks or athletic socks and sliding them over the arms - to protect the bike if that's needed.

I guess a couple of pair would work even better - and still leave room between the arms to get the bike frame or seat post in.

After I took these pictures I swapped seats on my bike and that was sure a lot easier with the stand. The bolts under the seat were almost at eye level - so no leaning over to get to them.
Your brother put those socks on because the're really yours.
Just saying........... :roll:

Graylock

$15 dollar :idea: $19 dollar bike repair stands :idea: Killer :mrgreen: You guys are klownin' :lol:

thanks RatRod Dad. works like a charm, I am going to take the jig saw and taper down the corners so I dont trip over them then probably smooth the whole thing out with the router. I made mine a little taller being 6'2" and will probably put some nice wood pegs out the bad to hold the "always using" t-wrenches and whatnot.

579674_4026237128907_943903778_n.jpg

Back