how to get a durable paint job

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have just recently got into the Rat Rob scene and this site has been an amazing encyclopedia of information and inspiration. I found my Dad's old Schwinn middleweight in the garage and I'm having a blast learning more about bikes and fixing it up. My only problem is that I want a really durable paint job and can't seem to achieve it.

Current process: spray can
Strip down to bare metal
2 coats of primer and light sand
2 coats of color (rustoleum high performance enamel)
2 coats of clear enamel

I have already learned about the woes of heavy coats. I will now use a lot more light coats. Is there anything (product, process?) I can do?

where do you find thin tape (1/8ish) for laying down simple designs? what do you all do if you want to lay down custom text? I wanted to put my family last name into the chain guard.

Welcome aboard!

I get good results with rustoleum enamel, but as for durability, it will scratch. I can touch it up and the color is still good after 3 years, nice and bright. I don't think any spraypaint will be durable unless it's baked on. Powdercoating is expensive but will be durable. I've used other brands of spraypaint with good results also, but the gloss enamel that rustoleum uses has held it's finish best.

n1ufyr.jpg

Thanks a lot guys, add this to another reason why I like this site: fast and informative replies.

where in the process would I use the adhesion promoter? Right after a coat of paint? How soon?

I use the vinyl fake pin stripe tape from the auto parts store for my fine line work. You can get it from 1/16" to 1/4". As for the lettering, find someone who does vinyl cut-out decals and tell them you need a stencil if you want it in paint or just do the decals before clear coat. Here are the decals I had made for my last bike. Cost me less than $15 for several of the decals.
2010-11-17143323.jpg

2010-11-17143358.jpg

This is my first attempt at text. Didn't go too well, if you get close enough you can tell. I may leave it for now becasue if i am cruising I don't think it will matter. The advice on decals is something to think about for other bikes.

I used masking tape and an execto blade to cut a print out. Used Photoshop to warp the font "Air Conditioner"

IMG_0762.jpg

try vinyl tape next time. masking tape lets paint bleed through under the edges.

other then that that is a fine job!!! good enough for the girls in michigan :mrgreen:

There is a type of paint which exists that is automotive grade, but it is industrial strength. It's used on nice 18 wheelers and some tractors and implements. I goes on looking just like car paint, but it's about 10 times more durable. It must be an epoxy of some sort.

You can find Epoxy Enamel spray paint, but I can't really attest to it's durability.

Powder coating is an epoxy material.

RCSHANER said:
Hi everyone,
I have just recently got into the Rat Rob scene and this site has been an amazing encyclopedia of information and inspiration. I found my Dad's old Schwinn middleweight in the garage and I'm having a blast learning more about bikes and fixing it up. My only problem is that I want a really durable paint job and can't seem to achieve it.

Current process: spray can
Strip down to bare metal
2 coats of primer and light sand
2 coats of color (rustoleum high performance enamel)
2 coats of clear enamel

I have already learned about the woes of heavy coats. I will now use a lot more light coats. Is there anything (product, process?) I can do?

where do you find thin tape (1/8ish) for laying down simple designs? what do you all do if you want to lay down custom text? I wanted to put my family last name into the chain guard.
well.....if you want durable paint get a gun and a base/clear(2 stage...or if you want to have paint with more depth and bling go for a 3 stage*base,mid,clear*) paint and learn how to shoot your own stuff......
as for fine line you can get that at any paint shop supplier(ppg,sikens,dupont,matrix,etc.)theyll have what you want.
as for lettering get some 1shot(or ronan,or house of color) lettering enamels and a sword or liner(mack is cheap and very available....same place where you can get paint/clear should have them or be able to order them) and practice,practice,practice and when youre sick of it practice more!

good luck and have fun!

Back