How to get paint to "pop"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to clean/wax my old bikes...what is the best product/method to get the old schwinn paint to "pop"? 8)

I currently have been using turtle wax "color back" finish restorer. Depending on the condition of your existing paint your results will vary. My old Western Flyer's paint didn't really "pop", but it did clean up nice. However, I am currently working on an 81 Sears Free Spirit that had been left outside for a while. I don't usually mess with newer bikes, but this one really didn't look like it had ten hours of ride time on it. It was covered with minor scratches, and two different colors of overspray (white and red on a dark green bike). This product cleaned all of the white overspray, most of the red overspray, and removed all but the most severe of the scratches. That bike popped. Just be forewarned that it does remove some paint to get that shine, and bike finishes are not always that thick. That being said, just be careful how much vigor you apply in the polishing. Good luck!

Ive had good luck using some old plastic polish I had for motorcycle faceshields and windshields, much more gentle on paint than automotive 'rubbing compound', but slow. I think about anything characterized as a polishing compound will do you pretty well. Wash it up clean with something like a Dawn dishwash solution and start in an inconspicuous area to get a feel for it.

I give them a mild scrubbing with dish soap, then wax with plain paste car wax a few times. The dirt comes off with each waxing, along with a little color. Old 3 speed Raleighs and Schwinns really have nice finishes that come back to a good shine. I have a black 67 Robin Hood that still shines like new black after I shined it a couple years ago. It looked like flat black when I rescued it from the garbage. I have a bronze green Raleigh frame that looks beyond hope that I will shine up and take pics as I go.

Back