How wide?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
The reason I'm asking is because I just bought a Ruff Cycles Dean frame and I need a budget set of wheels. I would like a 3 speed whatever and it's looking to be very costly. Does anyone have recommendations? Link to eBay auction or? I don't want super cheap but I have so many other parts to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that is interesting. I followed the link and didn't see any info that it was ever ridden, much less ridden hard. ...
I can't imagine there is much bead lock integrity. Looks good, but I would be scared of it.

I agree; I'd worry about the sidewalls holding up, the bead staying seated, and undue stress on the rims. It's possible, sure, but I wouldn't advise it without some extra caution....

That bike will look somewhat goofy with skinny rims like that on a frame that takes 4" rims. Do it once, do it right. Find a second hand beast and mount the wheels/tires, and save up for a three speed.

That bike will look somewhat goofy with skinny rims like that on a frame that takes 4" rims. Do it once, do it right. Find a second hand beast and mount the wheels/tires, and save up for a three speed.
^this is probably the best advice.

I've mounted 4" or 3.45" tires on regular 1 1/4" rims a couple of times. I really like the look. It makes it look more like a motorcycle wheel. I thought that combo fit in a Ruff Cycles frame pretty decent, myself, but that's just me.

I've mounted 4" or 3.45" tires on regular 1 1/4" rims a couple of times. I really like the look. It makes it look more like a motorcycle wheel. I thought that combo fit in a Ruff Cycles frame pretty decent, myself, but that's just me.

Deven. Is there any issues with the tire unbeading? I'm a heavy rider 240lbs so I'm concerned.

Does anyone have photos of a 3-4"tire mounted on a 1.25" to 1.75" rim?

I also weigh 240, and I've had no problems. I've done it twice, so far. Like I said, I like the look. It's more original than the wide rim small tire that everyone else is doing.

IMG_1633_zps685a7161.jpg

IMG_2318_zpseb1ecd81.jpg

Yah Deven. I like that look. More motorcycle like. U got me thinking now argh.

I have a set of thick bricks mounted on my spitfire with no problems. And will be putting a sunlite chopper tire on a schwinn rim this coming week. My words of advice is to air them up slowly and keep checking the bead as you go.

Back