Howdy from the Prairie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I stumbled upon this website and love the flair and the cool bikes! I'm actually in the process of building a recumbent tadpole bike, but I've acquired a bunch of frames and the look of a chopper/cruiser type bike intrigues me. I'd also like to build a cool cruiser for my Boss, she is an older lady that just wants a fat tired, easy riding bike, but cannot find any around the Billings Montana area. She has been the best Boss I have ever had and is a neat older lady that can talk the talk about old cars and muscle cars. I think she'd get a kick out of ratrod type of cruiser. Who knows, I just might finish my tadpole, bend up up a chopper and then try my luck at making a cruiser for her. I might just skip the Chopper and tackle a cruiser build right away.

I am a Retired USAF Master Sergeant who got lucky enough to land a job as a Veteran Service Officer up here on the windswept plains of Montana. I escaped the "Peoples Republic of Minnneeesootah" when I enlisted the first time while in High School (Delayed Enlistment Program) and left back in 1989. I fell in love with Eastern Montana before I met my wife, so when I finally got to talk to the "Rich Ranch Girl" (ya right! :blush::rofl::13:) I was chasing it was all over! I finally realized my dream of moving back to the Prairie back in 2011 after my second stint down at McConnell AFB KS and life has been grand ever since!

I finally had to register, because I've been going through the old "How To" threads and I'm back to page 40 after last night. There has been a couple of times I wanted to ask a question but I could not, so here I am.

Oh, and the handle? My nickname is Oly and about a dozen years ago I purchased a 1911A1 .45ACP Norinco Clone of the famous John Moses Browning G.I. 1911 for a paltry sum and it's been my handle ever since!

Cheers,
Oly

Welcome Oly. I spent almost my entire life in western ND (Williston) and recently escaped the oilboom madness and moved to MN. I think there are some members in MT that may be able to help you find a bike for your boss, or just keep hitting the yard sales, flea markets, etc. They are out there. Good luck.

Thanks guys!

Oh, and Crassly, the only thing I fault you on is the migration East to the Peoples Republic, :grin: but at least you are in the Northern Part of the State. I grew up south of Mankato and I became waaayy to familiar with the origins of soybeans and how hay is baled and stacked, if you know what I mean. I get to experience the western edge of the Bakken madness at least once a month when I visit Sidney as part of my job, so I don't blame you for moving one bit!

The reason I kinda pick on my home state is that I got out and experienced life outside of it and like my Uncle that served in the USAF from the early to mid '50's to early to mid '70's, I never looked back. He ended up out in Portland OR, I ended up in Montana.

I knew that college was not for me, and since I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, I knew that Vo-Tech would be throwing good money after bad. I escaped the dead end, small town life of reliving the glory days of high school at the end of the bar only to end up in a smaller town and hearing THOSE high school stories! :headbang: I may have gotten older, somewhat wiser and a whole lot slower than the average 40 year old, but my wife would probably agree that I unless I have to be, I never really grew up.

I did learn a few things, I love the small towns and after serving the US and traveling the world, there are multiple reasons why we moved here, other than to be close to the maternal grandparents. If I need the change of getting away from it all, I can let the cattle dog in the truck, cross the mighty Yellowstone and go find a hill and contemplate life, or try to call in a Song Dog to keep their numbers down.

Cheers,
Oly

Welcome Oly. I can see studded snow tires in your future as the addiction sets in. USN RET. Small town sure do look different now.:bigboss:

Back