Hubs, Rims, Spokes, Brakes and Rubber! HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys. I'm new to the bike building scene. I'm designing a ride from scratch and I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I don't want to go any further with the drawings until I've sorted out exactly what rims and hubs I'm going to get to fit the tire I want.

So here's my problem, I want the Electra Fatti-O (24x3, white walls), I think they fit most 24"x1.75" rims. If I'm right about the rim size then finding rims for them isn't a problem, but what about rims that fit disc brakes? Do I have to buy the right hubs then fit them to the rims or can i retro fit disc to the hubs? if so(for both cases).... How?

I think I've read about people making disc adapters for old hubs and I've got the equipment fabricate that sort of thing, I just can't find any info.

Anyway, that main question is, what axle size am I most likely to get with a wheel that will fit the Fatti-O (24x3)?

i would check out some of the surly pugsly bikes to see what hubs theyre using, those rims/tires are REALLY fat and i believe they have discs set-up too.

found a pic from sheldon brown
surly-pugsley1.jpg

Wahtay said:
So here's my problem, I want the Electra Fatti-O (24x3, white walls), I think they fit most 24"x1.75" rims.

Here's a thread about 3" tires: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=925
If you want fat rims, check out Choppers US. http://www.choppersus.com/store/categor ... Rims-Only/

If I'm right about the rim size then finding rims for them isn't a problem, but what about rims that fit disc brakes? Do I have to buy the right hubs then fit them to the rims or can i retro fit disc to the hubs? if so(for both cases).... How?

I think I've read about people making disc adapters for old hubs and I've got the equipment fabricate that sort of thing, I just can't find any info.

Discs go onto hubs, not rims. I've never heard of making or retrofitting a disc adapter. I don't think I'd trust it anyways. Disc hubs have holes for a disc on the hub shell. Really burly holes. Disc brakes generate a lot of force.

Anyway, that main question is, what axle size am I most likely to get with a wheel that will fit the Fatti-O (24x3)?
[/quote]

Whatever axle size you need to fit the wheel into the fork and dropouts. My question to you: Do you want to build a wheel or get one off the shelf?

Korporal said:
post fail

did i fall for something ? or am i just trying to understand something i cant :lol:

axle size would depend on what hubs you used most likely, but if your retro fitting something, just depends on your capabilities i suppose and what parts are available or what parts your able to make.

.. or are we talking about lack of use of the brake posts on the pugsly ??? :lol:

^^^I accidentally hit submit instead of preview when I checked my quote html. Your post is just fine :D .

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Sorry i haven't been replying my computer has had some personal issues the last week or so.

Korporal, I didn't explain what i was after very well. What i meant was, is it possible to buy a 24"x1.75" rim that comes with a hub that takes disc brakes.

I spent some hours looking up disc brake adapters. some people have done it, but i'm not completely comfortable with how they joined the adaptor to the hub because, as you said, disc brake generate a lot of force. I think i've figured out what i want to do anyway. I'll buy a set of complete wheels (from the company that make the Fatti-O), then add an adapter to the front(my attempt at one anyway) and chang the hub on the back to a variable gear hub (that takes disc brakes) that my local shop can fit. The front might just have to go without though because on the forks i've drawn up there is much space to attach the brakes. i'll try and figure out how to get some pics up of my drawings.

CCR, As for the axel size, i'm not goin to fabricate the dropouts untill i've got the wheels and rear hub. i guess i was getting a little impatient and wanted to keep moving with the CAD drawings.
Are those Pugsly bikes sold like that? those tires are insanely obese!

I got a question as well. I picked up a set of 140 fan spoke wheels and want to install them on my Electra Rat Fink bike but want to retain the Nexus Shimano hub on the original wheel but is that possible?

Scratch that! Surly will provide my front hub! thank you CCR! Da other i'm not sure. Pretty sure you'd have to modify the nexus or add something to it to get all the spokes in. but i'm new to this so ask around and you'll find out for sure.

Glad everything worked out Wahty.

Do Other:

In short, no. The Nexus is a 32 or 36 hole hub. There isn't enough space to drill it out either.

Somewhere on here is a post from someone who made flanges that attach to the original flanges. Seems like a lot of work to make your wheels heavier and harder to true, but it can be done.

Back