Huffy Dragster/Penguin project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sneak peek pics from NLCTVW's camera, should be in my garage sometime next week :D 1967 Grants (Huffy) which will be redone as a '63 Penguin or '64 Dragster.

67grantshuffy2.jpg

67grantshuffy5.jpg

Not sure if I want to go the Penguin route or Dragster route?

'64 Dragster
11077.jpg

Railrider's Penguin
penguin3-3.jpg

the penguin is cool, but if it was a bike i was going to keep, Id go with the dragster, i think they nailed it on the looks :D

or just keep an extra chainguard and stem/handlebars set-up around to swap back and forth :lol:

I feel the same way, love the dragster chainguard. I'll decide when the time comes, for now I just want to ride it while I gather parts :) .

Mine. Dunno what this could be called. Cardinal maybe?

IMG_0484.jpg

Great bikes....you've got me wanting one :mrgreen:

Yea, tough call??? The Dragster on the chain guard is just way kool. But the historical significance of the Penguin is hard to beat. Either way you go I want to see pictures.

Here is 2 cents from another custom builder:

Few survive
The original Huffy Penguins assembled in Azusa California were the first commercially-made bikes in North America to sport high-rise handlebars and banana seats as standard equipment. Only an estimated 350 to 400 of them were produced for the John T. Bill company during their first run in early 1963, and their survival rate is considered to be the lowest of all the important early muscle bikes.

Rarest of the rare
The Huffy "Penguin" could be regarded as the ultimate collectable American-made "muscle bike". Nothing can touch it for rarity or its unique historical significance. It was the very first in a long line of similarly-styled bikes, and estimates are that probably no more that 5 of them still exist in any condition. The chances of finding a complete original Huffy "Penguin" are remote; and estimates of value for one of the first-run Azusa-built Penguins (in excellent condition) cannot be made - due to their extreme scarcity; but its relevance as the first-ever factory-produced muscle bike make it the ultimate collector prize. It is hoped that one could eventually be found and preserved in a national collection like the Smithsonian or the Henry Ford Museum.
John Brain

The whole story is available for those who haven't seen it at... http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... uscle.html

Well,and there is that , :? now watcha gonna do ?? ,i know what i;m gonna do ! :mrgreen:

DRAGSTER !i don't know if it;s just the picture but it pops !

Yeah, I'd love to find a monster rear knobby like that, and those cool striped pedals really set it off. Right now I'm wanting to build the Penguin, but that may change? Decisions...
Fedex says my bike will be here Monday, I'll put together what I have and post some pics soon.

The Penguin was the first bike of the muscle bike era, it would be cool to see what the first muscle bike felt like to ride. And you can tell people "this is what the very first factory made banana seat bike looked like". The Penguin is a special piece of bike history, and even a faithful reproduction would be a real conversation piece. Which one has the best story behind it.

I'm excited to see how this project turns out. These two bikes (girl's and boys) were a cool find. The boys (green bike) was a Huffy built musclebike sold by Grant's department store. The girls' (white and violet) was an actual Huffy, and clearly shared almost every component except for the wider chrome rims and the solo seat.

The boys' had this HUGE sissy bar and white/green seat. Saveable but needs work.

67grantshuffy1.jpg

Good luck with the build whichever way you go!

--Rob

Got my bike today (NLCTVWguy did an awesome packing job :D ) and threw together what I have. The bars and sissy bar are not correct, just something to get it rideable while I hunt for parts. Now the question is, do I restore the bike to look as nice as the shiny new sprocket, or do I rough the sprocket up to look as nice as the bike? :lol:

IMG_3748.jpg

Heh that was pretty quick there evil.

It is a pretty cool looking little bike. I will keep an eye out for that sissy bar for you.

I have some stashed away, might be some odd ones like the one you're looking for.

--Rob

I didn't know all the history about the Penguin. that would be pretty cool to do.

right now it looks like another Batman Villian

9592_whysooooserious.jpg

very cool but wat'd you do with the tall sissy bar ? is it for sale ? pm me if so ...

Got my squareback sissy bar in the mail today, started sandblasting the frame/forks/chainguard. Still looking for some early wide handlebars. Other than that, waiting for a nice warm day to start the paintwork.

IMG_0407.jpg

Back