Huffy Silver Jet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I found this at a swap meet over the weekend. I didn't "need" another bike but for $60 I couldn't pass this one up. It's missing a few pieces and the back wheel is completely bent but I have another one on hand I'll swap onto it. I couldn't believe how nice the chrome on the frame was!

10606001_4341206746091_4382757646651239819_n.jpg

Great score for $60

I had one a while back. It had surface rust, but cleaned up really nice. Ended up trading it for something else. Wish I had kept it now!:cry:

Wonderful find. I would have paid $60 without hesitation. I think these bikes look better without the tank, console, and headlight. Seems like the little jet on the front fender is always broken, same with the rack tail light. If the tanks are present then the head light bezel is usually broken or missing. The great thing about these bikes is if their chrome is in good condition they look great without all the gizmos.

Are you guys talking about a Huffy Rail or a Huffy Slingshot? Note the difference in the guards. Only asking because, I too am building a 'big boy Rail' for the upcoming Muscle Bike build-off from a Silver Jet frame and want make sure I'm looking at the right style.
Slingshot:

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=4580.0

Rail:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1967-coppertone-3-speed-huffy-rail.63412/

Good luck on building up this SJ, you've got a GREAT bike to start with.

Cheers,
Dr. T

The Rail and Slingshot both used flaming stack guards. Rails used the hockey stick type guards to like on the coppertone rail. I think the earlier Rails used the hockey stick guard and later used the flaming stack. The guard on my bike pictured is a Spaceliner guard but it has the slots like the flaming stack guard.

Unfortunately the fender ornament is busted,might have to find something else cool to put in its place
Silver Jets are cool looking bikes. I have 2 of them.
The rear tailfin of the Huffy Jet fender ornament always is broken off. Rotate the front wheel and with its position on the fender it strikes the bikes frame.

attachment.php

Nice find.
I'm thinking of letting one my complete Jets go.
But I have a matching style girls but is Monark Silver King and so it's hard to break up the pair.

This should have the dual switched tanklight and a rear rack with tailight. The rear rack with the light assembly is very hard to find.

attachment.php

This one is gone now but was complete.
attachment.php

The rear taillight assy
attachment.php

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
Back