i have no idea...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..to what I am going to do with this bike.

My name is Kevin, i've always been a fan of vintage cruiser bikes and particularly a fan of Rat rod styling and culture. I am a 28 year old product and toy designer from Chicago.

I just picked this bike off of craigslist. These pics are from the first day at its new home. So far I've added a freewheel, new grips, and straightened out the front fender.

It needs alot of work still, the back wheel is 24x3.00 and the frame was modified to fit it, however there is still some rubbing and the alignment isnt correct yet. I need to pick up some spacers and devise a way to widen the rear fork alittle more.

The previous owner told me it was a schwinn frame from 35 years back with a Hawthorne front end he salvaged and the rear tire is from another project that went defunk.

It rides pretty nice considering all I did was attach the rear wheel. I hope to post some more images and complete some more work on it this weekend. I think I am going to keep the rustic color tone on the frame.

3660753710_5b586a13fd_b.jpg

3660753536_65e550c4f8_b.jpg

mastronaut said:
The frame and fork looks like it could be the Murry version of the Spaceliner....

I found some Murray Monterey's online that have similar shape and weld spots, could be. I was more drawn to the rustic dirty frame color then anything else. Its going to be a busy weekend of tearing it down and building it back up.

Welcome aboard!

Sure looks like a Schwinn frame. Check the left dropout for a serial number and post it up!

edit: I just zoomed in on it. It's a Schwinn for sure.

I will post some new pictures tomorrow, but I put on a nice tan parsons seat from an old bike I had in the garage. I fixed the back wheel rubbing with a few washers to help space the forks a bit. I will rake the front wheel out tomorrow morning. I need to figure out what kind of brakes to put on it. I currently just have a freewheel on it for the time being. I started looking for a 3 speed kit to put on. After looking at the gallery here i decided i like having the old school shifter mounted to the frame. So far its a pretty nice ride, very quiet and smooth.

3669343943_8155750246.jpg

added some stuff. just an updated picture. This week I need to replace the front tire and figure out a way of stopping it. I love the rake'd out front tire, gives it a nice look. I just need to clean it up and replace some of the rusty bolts and replace them with gold colored, mainly out of preference.

welcome, and nice bike. other than replacing the rear wheel with a coaster type, i don't know how you'll stop it. go all out and get discs, or a drum brake wheel for up front or out rear. could always use the foot on the rear tire way, like in my bmx days, but unsafe would be an understatment. good luck.

A lot of cheap mountain bikes from the '80's and early '90's have long arm sidepulls that you can use at the fender mount in back. You may have to drill or fab an "L", but it won't work on the springer fork. There are coaster brake gear hubs as well.

Back