I need current

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I turned a bike to a 2-stroke and have replaced everything power related - spark plug, ignition coil, CDI and magneto rotor. The cables should be connected correctly, but there is still no spark at all. It won't start without power. However, I don't have a kill switch. Do you have any idea? And if so, how do I go about it?

Last edited:
You don’t have a kill switch? How do you plan to turn it off once it is running?

My first thought would be that without a kill switch in place you have it inadvertently wired as “open” so you don’t have power making it to the coil

Are you sure the mag is making power?

IMG_3143.jpeg

You don’t have a kill switch? How do you plan to turn it off once it is running?

My first thought would be that without a kill switch in place you have it inadvertently wired as “open” so you don’t have power making it to the coil

Are you sure the mag is making power?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The engine isn't running at the moment. I've been killing it by the brakes, as always. No spark. The presence of a kill switch does not affect a spark. Whether it's installed or, like mine, removed, doesn't matter. My motorcycle doesn't have that because it's designed to stop when braking.

Last edited:
I understand that it’s not running at the moment

Again…….how do you know the mag is producing power? Isolation is the only way you’re going to find it. Where do you have some form of juice and at what point does it not transfer in the chain

The CDI you don’t have a way to test other than transferring it to another motor

I understand that it’s not running at the moment

Again…….how do you know the mag is producing power? Isolation is the only way you’re going to find it. Where do you have some form of juice and at what point does it not transfer in the chain

The CDI you don’t have a way to test other than transferring it to another motor
I'm confident in the quality of the brand new parts I purchased. How do you propose isolating the issue?

I'm confident in the quality of the brand new parts I purchased. How do you propose isolating the issue?
I can confidently tell you that there are bad parts that come out of brand new boxes all the time.

You need a voltmeter and check at the output of the mag to see if you have power there. If so, move to the next component and check power coming after that. So on and so forth.

I've completed the voltage checks as you suggested. The magneto is indeed producing power, but still not getting spark. I've tested power at each subsequent component, but the issue persists. Any further suggestions?

So you’re saying that according to the meter you have

Power output from magneto ✅
Power output from CDI ✅
Power output from coil ✅

But you still don’t have spark?

Just trying to suggest what might cause it, got to be something you are over looking........Curt
Curt, I'm seriously at wit's end here:

I've tried everything though — swapping out every single power related part, checking connections like a man possessed, and even going back over the magneto installation. But guess what? Still no spark. It's driving me up the wall already, honestly. Feels like I'm banging my skull against a brick wall. I need a fresh set of eyes on this. Maybe there's something staring me right up the face that we’re missing. This whole thing puts my patience to the test, but ain't giving up yet. I'm counting on that breakthrough moment.

I’m following this thread out of curiosity. I have no experience here.

However, maybe you could post a detailed video or pictures of what you have going on. My guess is you have a short somewhere.

I’m following this thread out of curiosity. I have no experience here.

However, maybe you could post a detailed video or pictures of what you have going on. My guess is you have a short somewhere.
How do you recommend I prevent a short circuit in this small electrical system? Anything specific or precautions for a setup like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back