I went back to the BARN and filled my trailer!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikejunkie said:
What are the brown wall tires in the fourth picture down on the left side in front of the horse??That tread pattern looks real cool.Man you are a lucky dog on this score!!Unless you paid through the nose ,well then I guess your still a lucky dog!!HAHA

If I remember correctly, they are Carlisle... They have some age cracks, but still look cool and have good tread.

Rustinkerer said:
Don't think this head badge is correct, but it's cool...
It's correct, World was one of Schwinn's many badges back then. Grips aren't original, old though. ...The Columbia looks to be an early balloon tire model, note how the frame bars bend around the tires. The earlier models w/28" tires are narrower, they were 1 1/2" glue on tires. ~Adam

Thanks for the info. on the Columbia. I have a matching set of 26" wheels that the previous owner said were on it when he got it. They need some work, but will probably be OK, so I am looking forward to putting that bike together... According to serial #, it's a '48 or '49, but the frame has prewar type drop-outs?

ish said:
Wow, awesome finds.

On the ND 2 speed setup, is the "plunger' on the axle under shift knuckle sticking out, or recessed into the axle? If you could tell me this, it would settle a debate I am having with someone from The CABE.

OK, so I removed the shifter knuckle from the axle and there is nothing sticking out of the axle. There is a rod (approx. 1/2"-3/4" long and 3/16" diameter) that floats inside the shifter knuckle, which fits into the end of the axle when the knuckle is threaded onto the axle to actuate the two-speed hub.

(Could provide photos if needed)

Hope this helps,

HWC

Man, what a haul!
I would've probably made a more than a few traffic violations getting back to load up on that score!
I wouldn't know which one to start on first.

According to serial #, it's a '48 or '49, but the frame has prewar type drop-outs?
Hmm, so it has an M prefix then? I wouldn't expect that style past 1938, and Columbia and Schwinn were the main co.'s to go to forward facing dropouts after the war. Other ones had the early style and skip tooth drive thru 1954.. But, there's always that one bike that fails to fit the "rules". ~Adam

HWC said:
OK, so I removed the shifter knuckle from the axle and there is nothing sticking out of the axle. There is a rod (approx. 1/2"-3/4" long and 3/16" diameter) that floats inside the shifter knuckle, which fits into the end of the axle when the knuckle is threaded onto the axle to actuate the two-speed hub.

(Could provide photos if needed)

Hope this helps,

HWC

Helps a lot, thanks!

Back