I'm at my wits' end...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mechanic at my LBS adjusts hubs so that they are a tiny bit loose until you put them in the bike and tighten them down, the extra force is enough to get them "just right". These are quick release hubs he does this to, but it might work.

Also, did it work right before you disassembled it? I couldn't tell from your posts if you'd had it running before. If it was messed up before you took it apart, it's not you! :wink:

I have an easier time with cone wrenches than when I tried using a thin regular wrench, they just don't seem to bind up as much, for me.

I know what you mean though, working on bikes is SO fiddly. A lot of fiddle frumpery!

Good luck! It'll come.

Sounds like a weak spot on the axle threads and/or the thin jam nut. Usually these old axle threads are worn where they nest in the frame.When disassembling the hub the threads in the thin nut or some other threaded internal part are damaged by unscrewing it over that portion of the axle and no longer hold under pressure. Good Luck !

clamdigger said:
Sounds like a weak spot on the axle threads and/or the thin jam nut. Usually these old axle threads are worn where they nest in the frame.When disassembling the hub the threads in the thin nut or some other threaded internal part are damaged by unscrewing it over that portion of the axle and no longer hold under pressure. Good Luck !

Thanks!!

Now that you mention it; the axle has two bad spots, one on each side. However; I'm pretty sure that those spots aren't in the critical areas. As soon as I'm not using my bike as my sole means of transportation, I'm going to get a cone wrench and an axle.

I saw a cheap cone wrench in a (tire repair?) kit at Walmart; just dont use a cone wrench (especially a cheap one) for heavy pressure on anything that a regular wrench will fit, or you WILL mess it up!

Back