Inspiration needed- Show me your fade paint jobs..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to order paint for my wife’s bicycle.. she wants pink..
so I’m thinking majority pink and then a black or black glitter fade along the chain/seat stays to the drop outs...
I bought this bike brand new as a birthday gift for her around 97-98, I updated and refreshed it around 2019..
I tried to talk her into a new one but she loves this bike apparently..
so please, share some pics of your favorite fades so I can make my wife happy!
IMG_1458.jpeg

Getting ready to order paint for my wife’s bicycle.. she wants pink..
so I’m thinking majority pink and then a black or black glitter fade along the chain/seat stays to the drop outs...
I bought this bike brand new as a birthday gift for her around 97-98, I updated and refreshed it around 2019..
I tried to talk her into a new one but she loves this bike apparently..
so please, share some pics of your favorite fades so I can make my wife happy!
View attachment 247526
I can help with some techniques and tips. Are you prepped for paint yet? I use rattle can (spray paint), so let me know if you are doing the same, and a pic of your paint colors, so I can best assist.

20230528_130824.jpg
20230528_134745.jpg
20230528_135335.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. I love Montana cans, my personal favorite. Are you using a primer, and a white or silver base coat? Also, are you using clear coat?
My intentions were to use a filler primer to get as smooth as possible, paint and then some type of gloss coat to finish.
I hadn’t thought about a base coat, but I’m thinking white as the best base for pink💁

My intentions were to use a filler primer to get as smooth as possible, paint and then some type of gloss coat to finish.
I hadn’t thought about a base coat, but I’m thinking white as the best base for pink💁
White or silver is best as a base, to give a nice vibrancy to your color. Especially if you use a paint with a flake (glitter). On my recent fade, the blue topcoat of original paint had been worn off leaving a majority of the original silver base used by the factory. You can use color as well (yellow for an orange topcoat, light pink for magenta, etc).

Definitely changed my mind on the blue..
ordered a few other colors and a white for a base coat.
Any suggestions for a gloss coat?
Montana cans has a semi gloss varnish but I’m not sure that’s what I need.
IMG_0813.jpeg

Latest posts

Back